Monday, September 08, 2008

Garden News!

There was a dust storm on the way home today, and to the west of us it was pouring rain. No rain for us though.

I went out to check the garden after I got home and discovered one bird flying around in there. I believe it was a Curve-Billed Thrasher.

Dh helped me rescue the poor thing. Bad news though, that means there is a way into the garden for birds. Also, one of our cats was in there, hunting the bird.

I also discovered some seeds have germinated! An edible weed, and radishes. I posted a similar post in October 2006! Check out this link on Little Mallow, with a few recipes for using it!

I'm anxious for the other seeds to begin germinating and poking their seed leaves above the ground. We need to carefully examine the garden and find out where the weak spots are to keep the birds out. It is a bit of a vicious cycle, since birds are attracted into the garden because of the baby plants, then the dogs get wind of the birds in the garden and begin racing around and around trying to catch the bird (or birds) which are flying back and forth inside. If the dogs get in, it can be bad, they have no respect for my garden beds and will trample everything. I hope it will be okay until I can get to it on the weekend.

Until next time.

No comments: