At 2am I had a sneezing fit which woke me up and I couldn't sleep any longer. Thank God I don't have to drive in to work today. I was also hungry, which will cause me to stay awake for hours unless I get something to eat.
I decided to get something else off my TO DO list. Ordering fresh seeds for my garden. I'm already feeling discouraged because I have a gopher residing in my garden. I tell you it's not easy gardening out here. The entire garden area is fenced top and sides, but we didn't go so far as to dig out 12" of soil from the entire area and lay down hardware cloth, which would have taken both hours and hours of time, not to mention the money.
I decided to go ahead and order anyway, and hope we can manage the gopher problem. At least 95% of the birds can't get in, rabbits and squirrels and chipmunks are blocked by the outer fencing. Ants are easy to control with AMDRO.
This time I'm leaning toward choosing heirlooms (they're cheaper and the seeds produce exactly what you grew originally, unlike hybrids which don't replicate perfectly), as well as seeds with the least days to harvest. The days estimated are what Pinetree experienced in their test gardens in Maine, so it might be different for us here. Still, I'd rather grow something that could be ready to harvest in 45 days as opposed to 75 days.
Here's what I ordered:
- 81803 OLD SPICE MIX SWEET PEA $1.10
- 94 BRIGHT LIGHTS CHARD (50 days) $1.30
- 80 EARLY SNOWBALL CAULIFLOWER (55 days) $0.75
- 69 MOKUM CARROT (F1 hybrid 54 days) $1.30
- 63 GOLDEN ACRE CABBAGE (55 days) $0.95
- 51 BUBBLES BRUSSELS SPROUTS (F1 hybrid 88 days) $1.60
- 48 EARLY DIVIDEND SG BROCCOLI (F1 hybrid 43 days) $1.30
- 258 KNIGHT PEA (56 days) $1.30
- 330 BLOOMSDALE LONG STANDING SPINACH (42 days) $0.85
- 33 CROSBY EGYPTIAN BEET (45 days) $0.95
- 301 CHERRY BELLE RADISH (21 days) $0.80
- 86 UTAH 52-70 CELERY (100 days) $0.95
- W239 CHIOGGIA BEET (55 days) $1.10
- 82909 CHING CHANG BOK CHOY $1.25
- 19101 KONSERVA KALE (50 days) $1.10
- 203 PINETREE LETTUCE MIX $1.10
- 213 TOM THUMB LETTUCE (47 days) $0.85
- 430-PURPLE TOP WHITE GLOBE TURNIPS (58 days) $0.65
TOTAL $22.70
I can't decide whether to go out and milk, or go back to bed for a couple hours.
Until next time.

No comments:
Post a Comment