Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Fruit Cocktail

When I became a young adult out on my own, I was dismayed to find that fruit cocktail no longer included bananas. I guess aside from the half cherries, the banana bits were my favorite fruit in fruit cocktail.

One day I happened to mention this to my mama, and she said, "Oh, fruit cocktail has never had bananas in it. I always cut up bananas to put into it."

When I think about that, I think of how special it was that my mom took the time to add cut up bananas to fruit cocktail, every single time she served it to us when we were children.

Thanks, Mom.

Until next time.

1 comment:

Deborah (Hickinbotham) Collins said...

My mom put in a few extra maraschino cherries because my little sister and I always fought over the couple the can contained. It was probably worth the effort to stop WWWIII before it started!