We went in on a shipment of baby chicks with a friend of mine and the chicks are due to arrive this coming week.
Dh decided to put some eggs into our incubator just about three weeks ago and has been turning the eggs faithfully each day.
I heard one cheeping yesterday, but dh didn't believe me until he turned the eggs again and found one is just starting to poke through its shell.
This morning the little guy still hasn't made much progress, and we will be leaving for church in an hour, so I won't be able to check in on him for a few more hours.
It's very important to let the little chick get out of the shell on his own. It's the way nature works. If the chick is not strong enough to get out of his own shell, he might not be healthy enough to make it in the big world.
I thought that I would post these pictures from 2005, when we hatched eggs one of the first times. Note the time on each photo so you can see how long it took for this one to break free from his egg.












Whew. It's hard work getting born!!
Until next time.
Sunday, March 23, 2008
Baby Chicks
Labels: chickens
Posted by RawMilkStar at 7:34 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Next week?? Ha. They're adorable, and filling up B's tub as I type...
:)
LOL, yeah she called me this morning (we were on our way to church) and said she was on her way to pick them up from the post office. She told me last week the expected date of delivery was the 25th. So they arrived early!
Not just early!
Easter early!
Duh duh duh dunna dunn duuuuh!
Post a Comment