
It's been over a week since my last post; I thought Blogger forgot about me when I tried to log in this morning and got the above screenshot instead.
But no, it turns out I just mistyped my password.
I'm not doing so good. I seem to be in a funk, and can't seem to find my way out of it. It's busy, as usual, and my job is even more stressful than normal. Everyone here is sick with some throat thing and I always panic when ds1 gets sick because his Down Syndrome prevents him from thinking rationally about his asthma. He thinks I'm being mean when I make him do more than one breathing treatment a day. He doesn't realize if he just bears with the discomfort of not being able to breathe properly it could lead to him needing to be hospitalized. I've been using my rescue inhaler 3 or more times a day, so I know he needs to be doing his breathing treatments.
I'm convinced my biggest problem is hypothyroidism, which has yet to be confirmed by the medical establishment. But my very low basal (waking) temperatures are a strong indication that my thyroid is low functioning. We're talking as low as 96.3°F. Temps under 97.5°F all but 5-10 days out of each month. I don't feel like I have the energy it takes to find a doctor who will take me seriously, and make the call for the appointment.
It is very common to go in to your primary care physician who sends you to the lab to have your blood drawn, and then your results come back normal. This happened to me. My doctor at the time suggested medication for depression. Okay, I'm experiencing some depression. Hello? Do you realize depression is a symptom of hypothyroidism, doc? Typical reaction from a doctor.
The Barnes Basal Temperature System
Thyroid Disease Information with your About.com host Mary Shomon
Better Body Care - Low Thyroid
What Your Basal Temps Reveal About Your Thyroid by Marilyn Shannon
Doctor's Nutrition
Mayo Clinic: Hypothyroidism Signs and Symptoms
Here are some symptoms of hypothyroidism. I certainly don't have all of them, but I can count more than twenty symptoms that I experience regularly, if not daily.
- muscles stiff in morning, need to limber up
- fail to feel rested, even after sleeping long hours
- feel "creaky" after sitting still for some time
- heart seems to miss beats or "flip-flops"
- nauseated in morning
- start slow in morning, gain speed in afternoon
- motion sickness when traveling
- dizzy in morning or when moving up and down
- cold hands or feet
- hair scanty, dry, brittle, dull, lusterless, lifeless
- hair loss from outer third of eyebrow
- flaky, dry, rough skin
- sleeplessness, restlessness, sleep disturbances
- poor short term memory, forgetfulness
- impaired cognitive function (brain fog)
- poor response to exercising
- hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
- high cholesterol, cholesterol deposits on eyelids
- constipation, less than one bowel movement daily
- "go to pieces" easily, cry easily
- dislike working under pressure, dislike being watched
- low libido
- gain weight easily, fail to lose on diets
- difficulty concentrating, easily distracted
- yellowish tint to skin on hands or feet
- cracks in bottom of heels
- clogged sinuses
- low pulse rate
- low body temperature, especially at bed rest
- recurrent infections
- headaches
- puffiness of face or eyes
- swelling of hands or ankles
- irritability, mood swings
- multiple food allergies/sensitivities
- lumpy breasts, cystic breasts
- menstrual irregularity, excess flow, PMS
- these worse at night: coughing, hoarseness, muscle cramps
- slowed speech and a hoarse, breaking voice (Deepening of the voice can also be noticed)
- hives
- increased sensitivity to heat and cold
- sluggish reflexes
- dry puffy skin, especially on the face, and hair loss, especially thinning of the outer third of the eyebrows
- depression (especially in the elderly)
- anemia caused by impaired intestinal iron and folate absorption or B12 deficiency from pernicious anemia
- slowed metabolism
- fatigue
- anxiety/panic attacks
- Choking sensation or difficulty swallowing
- shortness of breath with a shallow and slow respiratory pattern.
- muscle cramps and joint pain
- brittle fingernails
- osteoporosis
- paleness
- irritability
- yellowing of the skin due to impaired conversion of beta-carotene to vitamin A
- abnormal menstrual cycles
- impaired kidney function
- thin, fragile or absent cuticles
- infertility or difficulty becoming pregnant
- elevated serum cholesterol
- acute psychosis
- poor muscle tone
Until next time.

3 comments:
I'm sorry *hugs*
Have you considered an ND instead of MD? Maybe you'd have better luck? Or a Chinese herbalist practitioner? Just some ideas...
Starlene, the labs M.D.s use almost always say thryoid function is within normal range. Drs who have M.D.s as well as naturopath or homeopathy training say the most accurate test for thyroid is the saliva test. It's expensive though and insurance usually doesn't cover it which is why I haven't done it (I think I have thyroid issues too-it must run in the family, lol!).
Pat (your SWBS mom)
Hi Pat, I have read that is the case - that the MD tests usually say the levels are normal. I know they can do more specific testing if they know what to ask for. I have narrowed my choices down to three doctors that I would go to. One is an MD, the other two are NDs. Now I just need to figure out if any will accept my insurance and if not, which one would be the most affordable. That in itself is a formidable task which I hope to complete within the next couple of weeks. Thanks for commenting! :-)
Post a Comment