Monday, September 12, 2005

Butchering

We had two dairy calves that we purchased a few weeks back. Well, now we only have one calf. The other died on Friday morning. We think due to snakebite. We purchased the two calves for $40. We did what we could for the calf, naturally, because we weighed the situation and decided that a visit from the vet would cost a lot of money, and the calf might not make it with costly intervention anyway. There were two choices for how to dispose of the body. 1) Dig a big hole 2) Practice our butchering skills. We chose the latter. It was a good learning experience. We were taught how by a friend of ours back on Memorial Day.

That only started out the day. Then we went and cleaned four buildings. The last three usually take 6 man hours, but today it took 10. Our butchering teacher works there, and so we had to talk to him for awhile.

I'm really proud of us for being practical and using the opportunity for learning. Not many people will share my opinion.

I had some meltdown this weekend. Probably PMS or perimenopause. At any rate, I can usually take a lot before I'm crying like a sissy. But not this weekend.

I tried some of my kombucha tea yesterday. It has been brewing for 10 days. It was still sweet, with a bit of a fizzy taste. I thought it wasn't that bad. I asked how it should taste, and was told I should let it brew some more and try it again at 14 days.

My olives still are rather "pungent" tasting. Meaning, they still taste pretty yucky. But not as HORRID as they are before any preparation.

No comments: