My birthday is the 25th.
My sister and I have talked about how we tend to start buying a few things here and there for ourselves a few weeks prior to and after our birthdays. See, we try to not buy every little thing we desire on a whim, but around our birthdays it's a great excuse to just get what we want. That doesn't mean I go out and buy $1000 stereo systems or a new computer. I'm talking fairly inexpensive things.
Although I tend to buy things for myself prior to my birthday, I would really prefer that those gifting me would wait *until* my birthday. But oh well. I'm not really complaining, but it's up to me to buy myself something for my birthday. Maybe my family will cook a special meal on my birthday. Friday the 25th of May.
So far my family had a surprise party for me, my mother gave me my card and $40 on the 3rd... with which I bought myself two shirts and maybe a baseball cap. I have been wanting to buy some of my Cafe Press shirts just to see how they look in real life and so I bought one of The Herd Queen and the other of LJ when he was a tiny little puppy wearing a sweater I'd crocheted for him. I also bought a baseball cap which I am planning to give to dh and ds2 and I picked out a shirt for dh that we thought he'd like.
I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of those shirts. I really hope my shirts look good, the image, I mean.
I also bought myself a ironing board cover. A really nice one. It was regularly $11.99, but was on sale for $10.39. The scanner rang me up at $11.99, so I took it back to customer service. At this particular store, if the item is under $5, they give it to you free. If it's over $5, they give you $5 off the sale price. I told the lady it was marked down to $10.39 but I guess she heard me say $10.49. I wasn't going to quibble over a dime. Then another $5.00 off on that. I found the one I bought from my local store from Target online. You can see it here: Ultra Ironing Cover and Pad Set - Tranquil Leaves. It has this neat silicone pad where you can lay the iron down onto it *when it's hot* even. Neat. I haven't used it yet, but I did get it onto my ironing board.
I bought myself a book yesterday, having read an article shared with me by a friend on one of my non-dieting email lists. The article is here: Genes Take Charge, and Diets Fall by the Wayside by Gina Kolata and is actually an excerpt from Ms. Kolata's book Rethinking Thin: The New Science of Weight Loss — and the Myths and Realities of Dieting which I purchased from buy.com for $10.15, saving $10.00 by using the new Google Checkout.
I almost purchased this yesterday and may yet purchase it today: CERVINIA CALZETTERIA SOCK & FINGERING YARN.NEW.PRINT.. The link won't work forever, since it's an eBay auction. But here is a picture of the yarn:
I snagged the image from Smiley yarn. The color I like is Naples 904, which is the reddish colored yarn. Smiley's is selling this yarn for $2.50 per skein. Minimum order $40 though... and $12.95 shipping for however much yarn you order. I'm not sure I'm prepared to spend $52.95 on yarn today. ROTFLOL. I thought I'd get a better deal than on eBay and I guess I would get a better deal because if I ordered 16 skeins of yarn at $2.50 the shipping comes to only $0.80 per skein. But still! $50 is a lot of money to spend on yarn at one whack when I don't have much time for knitting to begin with *AND* furthermore I already have quite a stash.
And I do have some pink yarn asking me to please make socks with it.
Last but not least, ds2 ordered me a new keyboard and mouse. He researched both items some time ago and he does a great job researching to find good quality items. I can't wait for these to arrive: Logitech MX518 Gaming Grade Optical Mouse and Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 M17-1844.
He ordered them for me from Amazon, where I had a $25 gift certificate so my total cost there was $35.00.
Now I must get to work.
Until next time.
Tuesday, May 15, 2007
My Birthday
Labels: Bargain Hunting, books, Herd Queen Productions, stash
Posted by RawMilkStar at 6:55 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment