Friday, November 16, 2007

DS2 Made The Applesauce Cake

Ds2 made the applesauce cake in the aforementioned post. He even found our ring mold to make the cake in.

This head cold has taken away my sense of smell totally. I smelled a container of cloves and smelled absolutely NOTHING. I've been eating raw garlic in various foods all day and can't even taste the garlic. I couldn't smell the cake baking at all.

I can taste sweet, however. The cake is a little sweet, I think. I would suggest using at least 1/2 cup less sugar.

It's very delicious though. Thank you ds2 for making this cake for me!

7 comments:

CorwinFan15 said...

Aw, shucks, don't mention it. I don't think it's too sweet. I do think the dates NEED TO BE CUT WITH SCISSORS because a knife gets all...sticky.

But maybe she has the same thing about this cake as I do banana bread. Can't be too sweet, or it's trash.

Goldlady said...

To keep the dates from sticking sprinkle them with a bit of flour while cutting.

RawMilkStar said...

The first day the cake didn't seem to be the one I remembered. But yesterday evening, I tried some of it again, and it *was* the cake I remembered. Then it made sense. Because we rarely ate Grandma's fresh baked goods straight from the oven, they were always at minimum "day old".

Anonymous said...

Kenisky Stewartsky seems a bit touchy to me :P Maybe rawmilkstar was still not feeling well, or feeling guilty because it tasted soooo goooood...
His cake looked great and how can a cake be too sweet? I would love a piece!
Cassie

CorwinFan15 said...

Touchy! Why I- uh, he, is one of the least-touchy people anyone I know of is!



...actually, perhaps you are right. She probably was feeling guilty. It's just a lot like banana bread to m-...him, so he thinks that if it's sweet it isn't right. It's not his fault. That's how he was raised.

-anonymous

CorwinFan15 said...

I guess I've decided it is a bit too sweet- maybe 1/3rd cup less sugar...especially, the dates make it too sweet if they're not in small pieces. Cut in fourths, I'd say.

And flour was how I got the dates to separate from their horrifically sticky bundled mess. I had to separate the pieces one by one. I'll try the flour on the dates as I cut them next time. I'll make another for Thanksgiving, maybe.


So, now my Mom says that it IS what she remembered, and I seem to think it's too sweet. So just as she thought it wasn't too sweet, I thought it was.

I'm just grateful that I now know of another banana bread-type baked good. Everyone's happy, there's peace in the world.

Anonymous said...

You are both awesome!!! and I am sure everything you both make tastes great because of the love and good humor!
Hugs
Cassie