I threatened to tell one of Kev's bosses on him if he didn't come out and help me in the garden yesterday morning. Thanks, Mrs. Merry.
While out there, he asked me why I like gardening. I was explaining that one of the reasons I like it is because I like being surprised. At this time of the year there are lots of surprises, like the watermelon I found on Friday. Here are some of the fun surprises I found.
First of all, this HUGE tomato!! I was tucking the stems into the tomato cages when I noticed the little tomatoes that can be seen in the upper left part of the photo. I hadn't noticed them before, and THEN I noticed this really giant one. Probably the largest tomato I've ever grown. I am pretty sure it is a Pruden's Purple. But I'm not sure, since I lost the schematic for where I planted which types of tomatoes in my garden. Anyway, you can see by the photo that the tomato fits into the palm of my hand - it is huge!
Then I was looking around the eggplants and found this one that is about one inch long. I planted some light colored eggplant, this one looks like Ravena, which should be a light green colored eggplant.
I told Kev I was just sure a cucumber should have developed by now. So I was looking and looking and found this:
Kev pulled out all of the corn stalks and took them over to the goats. They loved them.
Here's the corn. We also picked all the carrots that were left in the bed. Kev's making me a carrot cake for my birthday.
Here is some of the corn that was inside the husks.
Unfortunately, the ones pictured above were the "cream of the crop", and they weren't too amazing. You can see in the photo below that many of the ears didn't get pollinated properly so didn't fill out.
After Kev pulled out all the corn, he spied this tiny little guy. That's my fingernail! He was tiny! Kev's camera did great getting some good pictures of the tiny little thing.
While we were out working in the garden... Tiger strolled up. He isn't allowed to go outside, but every once in a while he sneaks out. I love this photo that Kevin took of him.
Poor Tiger. It was a little too hot and humid out there for him. He was begging to come inside after about twenty minutes.
Until next time.
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Saturday Surprises
Labels: Gardening
Posted by RawMilkStar at 3:02 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment