Oh man, I came so close to acquiring *horses* yesterday. I am still bummed about it, but not getting them is -- I guess -- the right thing for us to do. There is a lady placing two old horses, I believe their ages were 25 and 26, in new homes because she is moving out of state and cannot keep them. She said the mare and gelding have been together 15 years, and cannot be separated. She said they are easy keepers and she has taught all her children and many others to ride on these two. She said they are great city horses, can walk alongside the road and aren't scared of cars. She had lots of stuff to give away with them, and could sell us a saddle for $200 and we could make payments. Coincidentally, her daughter is driving a goat out to where we live, which is about 75 miles from where they live. The only condition is that she wants the two to have a good life until their end and be put down humanely and not sent to a slaughterhouse.
It seemed like a perfect thing. I mean, how much more could one ask for? Free horses, perfect for folks who know practically nothing about riding horses, being delivered right to us? Then I sat down and looked at our budget and even though things will ease once our 10yo vehicle is paid off in a few months, it is going to really create havoc now to feed two horses. The estimated cost is about $50-$75 for each one. Plus, we are working one extra job that we'd like to give up and once the vehicle is paid off, we can do that, but if we have two more mouths to feed... not to mention we have five does pregnant and will have lots of baby goats here within a couple of months.
Plus, one immediate family member voted nay. My mother was oohing and aahing and so excited and hoped we got the two. As was my sister and niece.
I've decided to leave it in God's hands. If He wants us to have the horses, for what logical and practical reason I don't know (except to give us the desires of our hearts which He is surely willing and able to do that)... then the lady will email and ask if we are still interested. I'm sure she has found a good home for them already. Maybe something will fall through. If she does write back, I'm taking that as a *sign* and we'll take them.
Owning horses would be a dream come true for me. One part of me is squealing with delight and voting YES, YES, YES! However, the more practical side votes no. For today, I'm going to have to go with the practical side, and leave it in God's hands.
Thursday, February 16, 2006
Old Horses
Labels: Ranch
Posted by RawMilkStar at 6:49 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment