Monday, August 07, 2006

Hens Off Strike

It's official, the hens are off strike. Last Monday they began laying again. We put fresh hay in the nests on Saturday, and actually bought some eggs from the store and put a couple in the nests to encourage the gals to start laying again. They started out with two eggs Monday, then two on Tuesday, then five on Wednesday, six on Thursday, nine on Friday! They laid 6 on Saturday and 7 yesterday.

I began supplementing the goats with copper and milk production is slowly increasing - by 1/10th of a pound each day. L gave me 3.7 today, Z gave me 3 pounds, M gave me 3 pounds, D only gave me 2.3. 12 pounds total. The orphans got 1 quart of that this morning and once I got in the house and processed the milk, another quart for this evening's bottles. That leaves a gallon for the rest of us! Whoo! One of these days I'll be able to make something WITH the milk, rather than just drink it. I have cultures for buttermilk, sour cream and some cheeses.

On a list I'm on, someone posted an article from USATODAY.com which contained a link to see if raw milk is available in your state. I was surprised to see how available raw milk is in Arizona. That has certainly not been the understanding. I'd like to poke my head in the sand and pretend it's legal and hang up a shingle out front... but I know better.

Until next time.

No comments: