Sunday, September 03, 2006

Labor Day Weekend

It's pretty exciting that we are all home today as a family! Today the guys are outside working with SIL's tractor, which we brought home from her house yesterday. We have it because she has another house we are working on, and a driveway needs to be tractored. The perk is we get to use the tractor ourselves for the week and so plowing lots of hay from the goat's pen is on the agenda. That's my ds2 on the tractor. It rained last night, so it is not too hot out today, but quite humid. Not what we are used to. We have planned to stay home on Labor Day as well.

I slept in this morning, which I normally cannot do, as my back will not allow it. But for some reason it was just a little stiff, and since it had rained during the night, I was hoping it was maybe still raining, so I could put off milking for a little while. I was out there by 5:30am though, so the girls didn't have to wait too long.

Sometimes the scary thing about keeping one's books electronically is when one makes a mistake like entering two identical deposits for large amounts, only to find that you aren't ahead, but way in debt!!! Like maybe you had a deposit of two checks for $500 each and entered those separately, but then when comparing against the statement you find there is a $1000 deposit which you forgot to enter! Whoohoo, but then you discover those two $500 checks were deposited at the same time, DUH and the bank doesn't show them as separate entries, but as one entry. OUCH. But then there are the times when you find you've entered two electricity bills in the same month, which means you are ahead by a few hundred dollars.

At any rate, it looks like we are OUT OF DEBT!! Like I said, that is if I haven't mistakenly added in two deposits. ACK!! I am pretty sure all is well, I just have one more checking account to reconcile (we have two) but my balance is pretty close to what the bank says we have in there, and this account hasn't been used to purchase anything since last weekend. So we should be good!

I finally learned the trick was to figure out HOW MUCH extra money we need to bring in, then make that a goal each week. That is the cool thing about dh and ds's work, they can stay pretty much as busy as they want to.

The other trick now is to not go hogwild and go "Yeehaw!! We are out of the hole, what can we buy today?!" lol

I thawed out a pork loin overnight in the fridge, and I'm going to look in that fancy book The Gourmet Cookbook and see if I can find a good pulled pork barbeque meat to put into these Success at Last - Grinder Hoagie Rolls. I just found that site today, wow, I like it!! Don't forget to click on the rolls for a larger image, they look delicious!! I hope they turn out as good as they look. I am going to use bread flour (not whole wheat).

I couldn't find a recipe in the fancy book, so I'm going to use one of these recipes instead:
Barbecued Pork Loin or North Carolina Pulled Pork Recipe

I will report back with the one I used. Here's a picture of my pooch, okay I tried three times to upload the image with Blogger. So I give up, I'm going to use ImageShack. Hang on... I'll have it in a moment... I guess I won't. ImageShack is acting up now! Drang it!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Okay finally, there's my boy. Click on the thumbnail if you want to see a larger image. He's the youngest of our dogs, weighs the most and is taller than most of them. His new nickname is "Dairy Dog" because he loves goat's milk so much. We practice "Sit Stay" every morning, at least two to four times. He waits to have the strip milk from each doe.

We have a very nice dinner planned for tomorrow. New York Strip Steaks were on sale for $3.77/lb and I picked four out from the butcher block at Albertson's. Each one was just over a pound. We are also having fresh corn on the cob, potato salad and watermelon!

Until next time.

1 comment:

bfmomma said...

oooh... I think I might have to try the hoagie rolls--even though I don't "do" baking. yummmmmyyyy