I went into a little shop (downtown in the big city) on Thursday just to see what they had in the store. When I got in there, I saw an elderly man and assumed him to be the owner. I have this thing about supporting small business owners, and immediately started wondering what little trinket I could buy that wouldn't damage my credit card too much. You know I have the same feeling at yard sales. This obligation to "buy something" and not just be a "Lookie Lou".
As I browsed, I came across these incredibly beautiful cards...
I have been dismayed at how expensive cards are starting to be, even from Walmart. You can get cheapie $0.99 cards, but if you want even a halfway decent nice one you're looking at three dollars and up. I bought a Hallmark Valentine's Day card for my dh there yesterday which cost $3.34.
I have found that you can get a fairly nice card from "dollar" stores, but they are mostly pastel and vanilla-type cards. Not bad for a dollar, but if you want something spectacular, try and find an outlet that sells Leanin' Tree.
While at the feedstore yesterday, I noticed they had the Leanin' Tree Valentine's Day cards for sale (the other little shop didn't have them in stock yet). Then I realized they always sell Leanin' Tree but I hadn't taken much notice of the cards on previous visits since they sell mostly the cowboy/cowgirl versions, which wouldn't be something I'd be interested in giving (the one I linked to is mild, some are rather risque or disgusting). I bought two of the Valentine's Day cards (which were not cowboy/cowgirl).
This morning I decided to go online to the Leanin' Tree site to check them out. The cards I saw in person retailed starting at $2.49, but online, they are all $1.85. Plus they have an offer if you buy 20 cards, you get 10 free. I'm seriously considering buying my cards here this year. I have always wanted to be organized with sending birthday cards to family, but I usually only get cards sent to my mom, and my three of my four sisters. I always send Mother's Day cards to my mom and all my sisters, my mother-in-law and my grandma. My MIL bought me a "card organizer" for Christmas. It has a folder for each month, with places to write birthdays on each folder. Anyway, I figure the cards would end up costing me $1.465 each ($1.85/each for first 20, plus you get 10 more free, $6.95 s/h). Maybe I could finally get it together this year! They do restrict the offer somewhat, you can't buy Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year's Cards. But that leaves Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day, birthdays, get well cards, anniversaries, etc.
Which reminds me. I made this really cool Christmas gift for my mom one year. I took photos of everyone in the family, or got photos from them to scan, and then I put together a calendar (found online from Microsoft Templates which uses Word) with photos for each person for that month, and their name on their birthdate. My mom LOVED that calendar and has since asked for another one each year. (I'm the bad daughter, I have never made her another one since). Okay, hold up. I just went to Microsoft Templates to see about downloading the 2007 photo calendar and they have two available - one Monday through Sunday (*WHO* uses a calendar that goes Mon-Sun?), but they BOTH require Word 2007. I barely got Word 2003 last year. Sheesh.
I was thinking about creating a calendar for my mom, for a late Christmas gift. I did recently order color cartridges for my printer... but now it would really become a labor of love since I'd have to use this 2005 template, and repopulate the dates... or maybe there is someplace else online to download a template similar to this one? I have downloaded this one, in case Microsoft Templates stops offering it.
I bought this card for a friend of mine who just got both her legs broken by a spooked horse bucking and kicking while she was removing the saddle from its back. :-(
The card in real life is just breathtakingly beautiful, and the envelope has the same colors and design in washed out colors. The picture you see at the site hardly gives the card justice. And I paid $2.79 (plus tax!) for it - which I still think is a great price compared to what I'm seeing at Walmart.
I only have 10 more minutes before it's time to feed.
I'm also doing this romantic Valentine's Day card thing this year. I did it once, years and years ago. You take your card to your sweetie, address it, put your stamp on the envelope and then insert it into a larger envelope. Put appropriate postage and address to (one of the places) Loveland, Colorado. Loveland will hand cancel your stamp, and send your card on its way. I think it's a cool idea. I emailed several friends about it, but there was no response. Oh well. Maybe it's just me that thinks it's cool. You can read more about it here: Get a Valentine Postmark.
I did tell three of my coworkers about it as well. One by email. She's new. She didn't respond at all. The other was a coworker who just turned 64. She said she would never bother to do something like that because her husband wouldn't appreciate it. The third person is one of my younger coworkers, I think he must be 25 now. He is newly married (about six months) and his wife is pregnant. I think he might do it, I told him his wife *would* appreciate it, since women tend to appreciate things like that.
Time to feed!!
Until next time.
Saturday, February 03, 2007
Leanin' Tree Cards
Labels: Bargain Hunting, Memory Lane
Posted by RawMilkStar at 7:01 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment