The pattern calls for size US 6 needles. Since I don't own hardly any knitting needles, just to be safe I bought not only size 6, but also size 5 and size 7. I started the gauge swatch with the size 6 needles. Too wide. 1/2 inch to wide. I went down to the size 5 needles. Guess what? Still 1/2 inch too wide!! So then I went looking in my stash, I knew I had another pair of needles but wasn't sure of the size. They were size 3. So I started a third swatch. Well, the width is just a bit wider than 4", but now the length is almost five inches!!
Now what do I do?
Do I just try to knit tighter? Won't that be a pain as I try to knit tightly throughout the entire sweater? Aren't I going to find myself off guard - heaven forbid - actually relaxing - and knit too loosely again?
You know what one of my pet peeves is? When people say loose when they mean lose. Like, I'd like to loose ten pounds. I suppose that could make some kind of sense, but it's not "LOOSE" people, it's "LOSE".
Okay, end rant.
Maybe I should try to find a forum that continental knits and ask there. I found a neat YouTube video today: Continental Knitting Demo
Okay I'm watching it again... she's talking about having more tension on the yarn. Maybe that's part of my problem? She also made a comment about how continental knitters knit more loosely as a general rule. She says that she always has to go down at least two sizes when starting a pattern. Like if the pattern calls for US 6, she automatically begins her swatch with size US 4.
I have not cleaned house or done dishes in days. Ds2 has been keeping up with the kitchen and he also defrosted and emptied the big freezer to make room for the beef. I just HAD to take a day off today and do nothing. I'm still not feeling 100% and I keep having a bit of a sinus headache. But my breathing is WAY better. I was having to use my Flovent twice daily (I can usually get by fine with only 1x/daily) and having to use my rescue inhaler (Albuterol) up to 4 times daily.
I am hoping to get some more work done on ds1's bedroom tomorrow. I am going to make a curtain for him out of the flat sheet, and I bought new blinds to replace his old filthy dusty ones. I also bought him a new locking door knob, with one of those things you put at the threshold of the door, under the door? Because the carpet in the hallway and his new carpet don't exactly meet up, so I want to cover that up.
I'm tired.
Until next time.
Saturday, February 24, 2007
The Too Big Swatch
Labels: Aggravation, knitting
Posted by RawMilkStar at 8:42 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment