Sunday, April 08, 2007

Basket Case

I'm still sick. My asthma has been giving me a LOT of trouble. I am sure if I called my allergy/asthma specialist he would prescribe prednisone, which I abhor.

I figured out something. Every time I start feeling the tiniest bit better physically, I start trying to get the house cleaned up again. (I also considered the thought that maybe I really AM allergic to housework?) So today being my only day off, I decided I can't do anything. I did clean out the truck this morning, and go through 3 months worth of mail.

I seem to get sick physically every time I get an emotional crisis. Last Sunday our herd sire was sick with a condition that is sometimes fatal. I was very upset and crying over that. He recovered and we will make sure to treat for that condition. I found out that the Ammonium Chloride for which I paid $16.00 for a pound, can be bought on the Internet for $1.60 per pound. Great.

Thursday was very emotional for me at work. I've been basically railroaded into changing an area of the way our agency runs from manual to electronic. The person doing the manual thing doesn't want to switch to electronic and threatened to quit. It is scary for me to confront this person but I had to. I was very nervous and upset after the big scene. Later, this person came back to my office and apologized, but I was still very emotionally disturbed by it. I WAS feeling better on Thursday morning, but then I felt worse on Friday morning. Another emotional crisis = sicker. I don't think I'm just imagining things.

Then Friday morning I discovered that a website I worked on to customize for dozens if not hundreds of hours had been deleted from the webserver. I am positive it wasn't intentional, but the person who downgraded the website has been out of town and so I was freaking out worrying about that. This is not just a site that belongs to someone else. It belonged to a few ladies and we all sold items from this site. However, everyone is now wanting to drop out, but I want to keep the site and keep selling my things. Just very emotionally distraught again. Finally my friend got back to me and she's been out of town. She is going to see what she can do to help me get the site restored and into my name. So that helped me feel better, but the emotional stress. I have been crying about it since Friday, several times. I'm sure being sick isn't helping me feel any more positive about anything.

I was away from home most of Friday. Ds2's appointment was at 9am, once again frustratingly inconclusive. His legs hurt and we have ruled out blood clots and poor circulation. This is the third doctor he's seen for his legs hurting, only each and every doctor instead of listening to ds2's complaints of leg pain chose to concentrate on the sores on his shins. Which do not itch or hurt him, and are not on his calves, thighs or anywhere else on his body. This doctor was a hematologist and thinks it's strictly a "growing person" thing combined with ds2 being a "big boy". He suggested ds2 continue to get plenty of exercise and do what he's been doing to continue to lose weight. Once ds2 and I got home, dh and I took off again for town, to pick up the "shred" and run errands and grocery shop. So I was gone from home from 8:30am to about 5:30pm. Yesterday (Saturday) we left home for the big city (dh helping one of his coworkers with his evaporative cooler) and were gone from about 9am to 6pm.

One neat thing yesterday. Costco had a really nice drill on sale for $29.97. It is cordless and comes with two battery packs. It was $34.97 on March 31 and Costco gave us the difference back. We actually bought a second one, because dh will be using his for work and we need a drill for around the house.

So today I have tried to do as little as possible. I did nap from 10am to 1pm. I'm wheezing a lot, even though I'm using my Flovent medication twice daily on schedule I'm still having to use my rescue inhaler several times a day. Since I'm sick, it's to be expected that my asthma is acting up. The last thing I need to do is take prednisone, which I'm pretty sure being a steroid depresses the immune system (which Flovent is a corticosteroid, so probably has the same immune system depressing feature) At least now I'm not coughing up thick green phlegm. I'm taking fenugreek as an expectorant, the herbal version. I'm also taking grapefruit seed extract, vitamin C and The Grapefruit Remedy (a family recipe used for 35 years). I am feeling better, but I'm still sick. I'm starting to wonder if this is going to be the story of my life from now on. I have known people that get sick again and again and again and again. And have to take off work every couple weeks for being sick. But that isn't me and has NEVER been me.

I haven't been doing Nourishing Traditions hardly at all. My health has declined since falling away from many of the traditional foods. I did make my kefir last night for the first time in a couple of weeks. Poor grains, in the fridge starving for new milk. I should go check on them now.

I haven't done our taxes for this year. I think I'm going to file an extension as there is no way humanly possible for me to get them done within the next week. No time.

Since I was with dh yesterday, I did get a chance to work on the knit baby sweater. That is one true thing about being out with dh when he's working on side jobs. I at least get to sit around and do nothing for the most part. Otherwise I would have been home feeling compelled to tidy up the house. I got about half of one of the front sides done. I ordered another of the Yarn Harlot's books, Knitting Rules, it arrived by mail and I've been reading that in the past few days. It made me want to knit more. I already want to knit more, but there is no time for that at all on Monday through Thursday.

I hope I'm feeling well soon. In the meantime, my dh is the Energizer Bunny and keeps going and going and going. He needs only four hours of sleep each night and drinks coffee and eats whatever he wants. He never gets sick and never gains a pound. I have also discovered drinking even four ounces of coffee affects my immune system (caffeine stresses out the adrenals) I wish my body was a little bit more like his. Today he finished fixing my toilet (fixed the handle which I didn't have the muscle to finish -- some little chain thing you have to snap into the plastic part of the handle and I could not do it -- and adjusted the float so it flushes properly now), has been cleaning off the porch, built a new bee box (our old one was warped beyond recognition) and I don't know what all else he's done today. We would still like to have bees, but have not ordered them for about three years. Dh is hoping a swarm finds our bee box. Or maybe I should post on Freecycle and Craig's list like a friend of mine has done.

Until next time.

No comments: