Yesterday, while ds2 and I went to Walmart to pick up his glasses, dh sat and read our Major Appliances by Time Life Books book to see if he could figure out, once more, what was wrong with our washing machine. Well, come to find out the lid switch was broken. It's that little piece that is connected to the lid, and it sticks down into the washing machine and pushes a little button that tells the machine the lid is closed so the washer will spin. Which is a really good thing since we stopped at a yard sale over the weekend and bought almost $100 worth of tools. A handyman was going out of business and dh got a compound mitre saw for $50, a pipe threader kit and vice for $30, a pair of metal snips and a huge drill bit for $5. I got an Upwards game for $1 and a Glenn Doman "Teach Your Baby to Read" set for $5.
I was really happy that dh figured out what was wrong because now we don't need to buy a new (used) machine, and again since we spent half of the money I thought we'd have to spend on a used one.
I am replacing a zipper in ds2's cargo pants. I don't know if I've ever put a zipper into anything before. I removed the broken zipper last night, and basted the new zipper in place.
Dh and I went into work today to make up hours we lost from Wednesday and stopped at JoAnn's afterwards. I could spend ten hours in that store. I needed thread to work on ds2's pant's zipper. I got a color that is a close match, and nylon thread, in case I have to go invisible.
I looked at yarn. I am supposed to put that blanket stitch around the hooded baby sweater, but now that the buttons are the same color as the sweater, I wanted to make the blanket stitch a color other than white. I wish the buttons had been white. I was thinking a pastel varigated yarn, but couldn't find any colors that would match to my satisfaction. Then I remembered the button loops are in the "contrasting" color, so maybe it will work out okay after all.
I cooked dinner last night, I made this sandwich: Marlboro Man's Favorite Sandwich. Dh did not like it. Ds2 said it was the best sandwich he's had in his life. I thought the meat came out good, considering the round steak wasn't professionally tenderized. I did use our Deni 48 blade meat tenderizer, which worked very nicely. I also made this poisonous crap which I dearly love but try to make only once in a great while. Banana Pudding. But I don't really follow the recipe exactly. I just make some instant vanilla pudding, slice some bananas and layer in some Nilla wafer cookies. I love pudding. I especially love warm homemade vanilla pudding.
Tonight ds2 and I are going to try this recipe: Marlboro Man's Second Favorite Sandwich. He's already cut up and pounded the chicken breast. I couldn't find peppered bacon, so we'll have to manage without.
I also made a batch of copycat Lawry's Seasoning Salt. I modified this recipe: Seasoned Salt. I left out the chicken bouillon because it almost always contains MSG. Also, I didn't see the point of using onion salt and garlic salt. I just added a bit more salt than this recipe called for. I have not purchased Lawry's Seasoning Salt over the years because I thought it contained MSG, but I'm reading on their website that it does not. However, it does contain the mystery ingredient "natural flavoring" which is often some form of MSG.
At any rate, I'm sure it's less expensive to make my own mixture.
2 tablespoons pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon dry marjoram leaves
1 tablespoon minced parsley
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 cup salt
Two things to say about our beef. Both may be gross out things. One I love, one I detest. Let's see, how about my favorite thing first, which may be considered gross by some. I love raw beef. I stopped eating it in my childhood due to e.coli scares. (My mom used to get a roast freshly ground and we'd eat raw bites of hamburger). But eating one's home grown beef, especially after having been frozen for two weeks is said to be safe. It is so delicious. The other thing... I have found too much gristle in the hamburger, of which we have several thousand pounds. Okay, actually it's only 145 pounds. It is coarsely ground and I found one hunk of gristle the size of a pea. GROSS. I have got to call the processor and complain. Not that anything can be done, but he should know there is a problem. And next time we'll have to say something and hope it doesn't happen again.
So before I use any more hamburger, I'm going to be regrinding it. Thankfully we have the grinder piece that goes with our KitchenAid. Next I'm going to try this recipe: The Best Lasagna. I haven't decided whether we should just have it for dinner on Sunday night, or whether I should freeze it for a meal during the week. I mentioned this idea to ds2 and he didn't seem to care one way or the other.
Now I must go work on that zipper. Ds2 plans to wear those pants to church tomorrow.
Until next time.
Saturday, June 23, 2007
Washing Machine
Labels: Just Stuff, knitting, Sewing
Posted by RawMilkStar at 2:25 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger
That my best friend was born in a manger
Post a Comment