Friday, June 08, 2007

Yarn Rescue

Last Saturday I blogged about some 85% wool yarn I'd found at one of the local thrift stores. I had planned to go back today and see if the other sack of yarn was still available, buy the bag for $4, pull out the wool yarn and donate the bag back to them. Upon closer examination I noticed there were some balls of cotton in the bag as well. So I decided to take the whole bag home. I went to the thrift store first, and then had to run errands and shop for groceries and it was kind of fun anticipating what I'd find in the bag once I got home. You can see in the photo to the left that I found four more balls of the Patons, making a grand total of eleven balls.

Dh found some things he wanted and we both wandered around a bit longer, and then I discovered that there was one more side to the "craft" area. And discovered these:


A passel of knitting needles! Sizes 4, 6, 8, 9, 10 and 11. All 14" long. The 10's are the tiniest bit bent but it won't bother me any. The lady charged me $5.00 for the six sets. That makes each set ~$0.83! The sock needles are size 8 and she charged me a dollar for those. So now my collection of knitting needles looks like this:

I have size 3 and 8 in short needles, and sizes 3 (the hooded baby sweater on currently), 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10.5, 11. This is so exciting to me! I checked the prices of needles at Walmart today and they range from $1.74 up to $2.88 depending on size.

In that same area, I found another bag of yarn to rescue. This bag had 8 balls (50 grams) of Pineapple Frost Bernat Cott'n Silk, 75% cotton, 15% nylon and 10% silk. $5.00 for the bag.




Here's the cotton. The two intact balls are different lot numbers and the colors are noticeably different. I think the unwound ball is the same as one of the others, and there was a partial ball of yellow.

The remainder of the bag of yarn. Mostly acrylic. Yes, those are DOLL HEADS. I didn't really notice they were in the bag when I was looking at the yarn.


This is where I'm storing my knitting needles. I found an old Samsonite overnight case at a yard sale for $3.00. I thought it would be perfect for storing my knitting and crochet needles and it seems to be working out great. It's definitely helping to have one specific place to put all my knitting/crocheting supplies.

Okay. I think it might be time for an intervention. I seriously have so much yarn that I could never use it (at least at the current rate of usage) in the next 60 years. I only started looking at thrift stores to see if I could find some "good" yarn, which I can't bring myself to buy brand new since it's so darned expensive. Well, now that I have some "good" yarn, I need to stop looking. I have much more yarn than I've inventoried here on my blog... mostly acrylic, but some cotton. And I'm running out of places to hidestore it. The most important thing is, if it takes me 3 months to knit one small baby sweater, how can I ever use it all? Speaking of baby sweaters... I have completed one sleeve on the hooded baby sweater! Making progress! That leaves one more sleeve and the hood, assembly, and buttons. Then I can start something else. Something quick. Maybe the hat I want to make for ds1 out of the brown Lion chenille I found at Saver's. I still would like to make a kitty pi. But you know, these cats of ours wouldn't be fussy and insist on a felted wool kitty pi. They'd probably be just as excited about an acrylic kitty pi. I am sure I could figure out how to crochet one. I sure have learned a lot with making the hooded baby sweater. I had to visit knittinghelp.com to watch how to do increases. I learned how to do the bar increase.

Until next time.

1 comment:

bfmomma said...

woo hoo! It looks great. I love the hard-sided case for needles (so they don't get bent).

It's nice to bring you over the the dark (knitting) side ;)