Thursday, September 06, 2007

Leaving The Nest

Our baby is beginning to venture from the nest! He started talking about attending Wednesday evening services a couple of weeks ago, and decided to try it last night. This was his third time out driving all by himself. The first time he's driven this far all alone (~45 miles to church). The first time by himself where he'd be driving home in the dark. The first time grocery shopping all by himself.

He looks so handsome in his Geoffrey Bean dress shirt and tie.
Uh, sonny... your pockets are hanging out.

I asked him to call me when he got to church, when he left church, when he got to the grocery store and when he left the grocery store. He did as I asked.

It was a little bit nerve wracking. Due to my sleep being interrupted I was extra tired this morning and needed coffee right away (3am) to help me wake up and get going for the day.

I'm very proud of this guy. He's been a great blessing.

His father and I love that his life is so different than ours at his age. We laid in bed last night talking about how different our lives were at his age. Dh had been living on the streets for years... I had been living with Mrs. So and So who told me I was too stupid to learn to drive stick shift. Of course it was just her way of keeping me from driving, from having to pay insurance for me to drive, and to keep me homebound as much as possible.

Neither of us had our driver's license as teenagers. Neither were allowed that right.

I'm so glad we have been able to give him a different life than we had.

I love you, son. You make a mother proud. And thanks for humoring me and calling me all those times, even though it interrupted my sleep. But see, I'd rather have my sleep interrupted, than worry for not hearing. Yeah, I could have called him on his cell phone, but I didn't want to interrupt the bible study, nor have him answering the phone while driving. Although I did call him twice and catch him while he was driving.

Until next time.

2 comments:

CorwinFan15 said...

Uh, yeah, you called me twice, and the ringer made me PEE ALL OVER MYSELF!!! TWICE!!!

”Wow, Kev,” they said. ”Did you pee all over yourself, or what?” they asked. If you‘re going to keep calling like that, I am going to have to start wearing diapers. And YOU will be paying for them!

CorwinFan15 said...

WII DUDE LOL