Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Public School Breakfasts

When I was growing up during the 70s, we were poor and eligible for the free meals at school. I don't really remember eating breakfast at school though. I remember the 3 pound margarine bowls of oatmeal that my mom used to serve us. I sure hated oatmeal when I was growing up. It didn't help that one day a balloon tick (I kid you not!) that had walked up the wall and onto the ceiling fell into the pot and my mom made the decision to just remove it and feed the oatmeal to the family anyway. Hey, we were poor and she did boil it for several minutes after removing the offending insect. She must have had half a gallon of oatmeal there, worth at least a quarter, and it was probably being served within moments of our having to leave the house... so it was either feed the oatmeal to the children or send them out the door with nothing in their bellies. She would put a good 2 inches of oatmeal in each bowl. I could never gag that much down so I always had much less, like maybe half a cup's worth. I would take a bite and then drink cold water to wash it down. I was never much of a breakfast person to begin with, thanks to Romy, my nemesis in the 2nd grade. She tortured me daily and pretty soon I had a nervous sick stomachache every single day of school. The daily sick stomachache lasted until I was almost twenty years old, when a coworker told me about chewable Pepto-Bismol which helped me to get over having the stomachache every single day (one of the rare times over the counter medication has actually worked for me).

Eventually I learned how to make oatmeal so that it actually tasted good. And I love oatmeal today, although I prepare it the NT way to reduce the phytic acid (click on chapter 13's excerpt), it still doesn't provide me with enough nutrition and I find myself STARVING within an hour. It's so annoying it's not even worth eating it.

Dh also was poor growing up and eligible for the free meals. He says they served oatmeal, scrambled eggs, and french toast, to name a few.

I had to call one of our local schools yesterday and didn't have the phone number handy so I googled the school name. Found their website and their number within moments. I gave them a call and while they had me waiting on hold I looked around on their site. I was surprised to see how bad the breakfast menu is. Churro? Isn't that considered a dessert? Well, I guess it's a donut of sorts, a Mexican donut... and of course donuts are considered highly appropriate breakfast fare. When I look at this menu I don't see even one meal that I could eat and not be ravenously hungry within an hour due to the lack of protein, sugar and high carbohydrate content. Maybe the "Sunrise Sandwich" if it's like an Egg McMuffin, and has an egg in it. I thought we were supposed to be fueling children to learn. Not to have low blood sugar drops. If this is what most children eat, it's no wonder so many children are being diagnosed with ADD and ADHD. I'd be unable to concentrate, if my first sustaining meal for the day was sugary and full of carbs. Now don't get me wrong, I've admitted here that I love carbs more than my own mother, but even I know when I have to avoid them.

Unfortunately, lunch isn't much better. Free choice, and imagine that your child doesn't have rock solid nutrition values and can withstand peer pressure. It's like a fast food buffet straight from the frozen food section. Teriyaki Dippers, pizza, Shrimp Poppers, Stuffed Crust Pizza, Cheeseburger, Jumbo Corn Dog, Chicken Nuggets. OH, this month there was a turkey dinner, with no corresponding choice of pizza. Maybe some kid didn't want turkey that day. Too bad, you say? I'm sorry but that's how it should be on other days, too.

I'm really, really glad I didn't put my children through the public school system.

Until next time.

9 comments:

CorwinFan15 said...

LMAO. "Super doughnut!" (first picture, day 16).


Rofl. What the hades is a super doughnut?! I keep thinking of the Donut track from Mario Kart.

And what are "whipped" potatoes?

I don't get that menu. It's like they take the worst food you can eat and decide that it should be served? Maybe they like, got their wires confused, and that's the list of things NOT to serve.

I'm going to make myself an egg sandwich now that I think of it, though. Yes.



The power went out today, you know. I tried to call you several times, but to no avail!

Both me and my brother woke from a dead sleep. Now we see how Pa does it when you turn off the satellite. What you need to do is slowly, slowly turn it down over 1-3 minutes, I think.

Great post, lol. Super doughnut!

RawMilkStar said...

I thought it was "Super Donut Cereal" but then I found this link: http://www.impactlab.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=10953

?? Don't know if that's the "super donut" that the school is serving though.

Whipped potatoes are instant potatoes whipped up with a mixer.

Sorry I didn't have my phone with me!

CorwinFan15 said...

Yeesh, hopefully it is. Super doughnut! Lol!

I suggest my most recent post, Steel VS. Foot, for up-to-date info on this morning's activities.

Owie.

bfmomma said...

My kids don't have the option of cafeteria lunches... I pack it every single day.

guess that's the "advantage" of school in a pricey suburb--no "need" for subsidized lunches. (there actually is no cafeteria/kitchen in the schools)

Goldlady said...

Okay, so I must have a problem here, I always LOVED the oatmeal Mom prepared, lol!

Although you are very critical about cafeteria lunches, often these meals are the only food during the day or night "poor" children recieve. I know, I work in "those" schools. Granted, the meals may not be to your specification, but they have been approved and created by a registered dietitian. Maybe if you feel so strongly you ought to get involved.

Imagine too if you had sent your children to school how you might have made a change...think about it.

No offense meant, and none taken. Just a different perspective to share, I hope.

Goldlady said...

"It didn't help that one day a balloon tick (I kid you not!) that had walked up the wall and onto the ceiling fell into the pot and my mom made the decision to just remove it and feed the oatmeal to the family anyway."

Okay, I was trying ever so hard to ignore this, but I can't. MY GOODNESS didn't she know anything about cleaning! I guess not. I suppose the excuse is that it cost too much to buy the supplies to clean with?

RawMilkStar said...

Cleaning? Even the cleanest and best housekeeping person in the world who owns a dog can have a tick now and then. Once Mrs. So and So's house was infested with ticks and hers is the cleanest house I've ever lived in.

CorwinFan15 said...

OK, what's so bad about a tick in some oatmeal that's boiling?

I mean, I've spat in plenty of food and boiled it. It does kill everything, right? That's why doctors boil their face masks.

Jen said...

I know that this might be the only food some kids get - but I don't think that makes it acceptable. I'm with you RawMilkStar - I can't imagine sending my kids to a place where this is considered "healthy," and where most of their classmates will eat like this. Packed lunches are no guarantee of health either, I know, but at least C's school sends home guidelines of what is acceptable and what's not...and most of the kids have relatively healthy home-made lunches...