Kev made this for dinner today. One of our church brethren is from Poland and brought Kev some authentic polish sausage from a local butcher that he frequents. OH, I have never tasted sausage so delicious in my entire life. It's worth $5.99/pound!
I'm so tired. But I wanted to share this recipe.
Cooking Time: 2.5 to 3 hours
- 2 to 3 lb. pork butt
- 3+ cups water
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 32 oz sauerkraut
- 1 large head cabbage
- 1/4 cup butter
- salt
- pepper
- optional, kielbasa and/or optional, 12-16 Deli Quality Beef Franks (we use Hebrew National,Nathan's, etc. but these are not NT)
After baking for 1 hour, and the pork has begun to brown lightly, add 1 large onion, sliced. Continue baking covered for 45 minutes, or when meat is falling off the bone. Remove pork from
bone.
In a large pot (12 quarts for this recipe) saute 1 large chopped onion in 1/4 cup butter until light brown. Add 1 to 2 cups water, cut-up pork, pork juices, onion, salt and pepper to taste from baking pan to the pot. Shred a large head of cabbage, rinse under hot water and drain. Add the sauerkraut and cabbage to the pot. Add kielbasa or beef franks.
Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 1 hour. Taste. Continue cooking and tasting for another 30 minutes or until the cabbage is of the texture you like.
The recipe is supposed to be soup-like, so you might need to add more water.
Until next time.

2 comments:
It should be noted that pretty much any sausage works good, but the higher quality the better. It must simmer, not boil. Otherwise it seems it can overcook and "waterlog" the sausage.
Also, the sauerkraut has to be rinsed and drained several times "to remove the bitterness." (I disagreed with this at first, but the finished product seems much better. My mom actually does this, but forgot it in the recipe.)
I used lard in place of the butter, as directly by the Hitman, our church pal from Poland. He says that, well, "Lard's good!" It seems to have more of a "presence" than butter does.
Also, it looks like a big, jumbled mess when you're first assembling the ingredients (the cabbage is troublesome), but it'll work. (I'm just offering notes from first-time preparatory experience, here.)
Boy, I'm feeling writey tonight, apparently.
Post a Comment