
Our hens are beginning to lay with fervor! Back in March we ordered some pullets and they are now mature enough to begin laying. Along with our older hens, we are getting ten to sixteen eggs again. Time to start using more eggs in our meals.
Last night I tried this recipe, Baked Spinach and Eggs. I love spinach and this recipe turned out to be a winner.
The original recipe is linked above, but I altered it slightly.
1/4 cup butter
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound frozen spinach
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided use
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease a medium baking dish, I used a 9" x 9" square glass dish.
2. In a cast iron skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes to soften. Add spinach and salt. Reduce heat to low. Cover and steam for 10 minutes; remove from heat.
3. Sprinkle half of the mozzarella cheese in the bottom of prepared baking dish. Spoon in spinach mixture and sprinkle with paprika, pepper and nutmeg.
4. In a medium bowl, beat together egg and milk; pour over spinach mixture. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake until the cheese bubbles, about 20-30 minutes. Let stand at least 5 minutes before cutting.
I heated up the leftover pieces this morning in the toaster oven.
Until next time.
Saturday, August 30, 2008
Baked Spinach with Eggs
Labels: recipes
Posted by RawMilkStar at 10:07 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
THANK YOU!!!!!!! I finally found something that sounds yummy and is fairly low carb!!!!!!
Love ya, Starlene!
Pat
Although I hate to admit I'm watching my carbs, I also thought it was great for that reason. I think good fats are important, even so, the original recipe called for 1/2 cup butter and I cut it down to 1/4 cup which was plenty. Thanks for visiting and commenting! :-)
Post a Comment