Monday, August 11, 2008

Gorgeous Yarn Find

Kev and I had a great time at church camp last week. Exhausting, but definitely worth it.

Before we left, I stopped at Savers to pick up some suitcases. I found three nice ones for $7.99, $6.99 and $4.99. They nest into each other, this will be great for storage purposes.

I am also so excited about this delectable yarn that I found:

The original tag shows that the two hanks of Country Silk retailed for $24.99. I can't believe someone didn't snatch this up before me - Savers had it marked for only $2.99!! The Savers tag says it came into their store on the 17th, and I found it on the 29th.


While at camp, I tried twice to wind it into a Jacqueline Fee Japanese Yarn Cocoon as demonstrated at Elka Knits. The first attempt Kev was helping me by holding the yarn around his forearms as we sat in our room with the door open. Kev defended his manliness at least twice, explaining that he doesn't knit to fellow brethren who dropped by to see what we were doing. Kev, dear, just in case you don't know, manly men do knit.

I decided against making a ordinary ball since they roll around and I like trying something brand new. Besides, it just sounded so neat. Making a cocoon. Neat!

I only got about a third cocooned before it was time for the evening worship, so I left it for later. Which I then realized I had been wrapping the yarn the wrong way, so I started all over. I wasn't able to make much headway, but I did figure out the correct way to wrap it.

I'd really hoped to have it cocooned in time for the trip home, but never found any more time to work on it.

In addition to the Elka Knits tutorial, I found mention of Jacqueline Fee's Japanese Yarn Cocoon method over at Knit the Knits and she actually found a site - Yarnerinas - which had a video of the procedure! After watching the video I know I now have the process down correctly. Now to find the time to cocoon the lovely yarn.

I am thinking about making a coverlet to wear in the fall, using this pattern Gothic Leaf Lace. I did actually experiment with the pattern on the drive to camp, but I used a two-colored yarn and it is difficult to see the pattern.

I love this Gothic Leaf Stole by Sivia Harding, but I think my yarn is too thick. Here is another link to the Gothic Leaf Stole by Sivia Harding, this is an absolutely stunning stole. Wow. I need to buy some thinner yarn, lol.

Here is another Gothic Leaf Pattern which looks nothing like my attempt with the lace pattern mentioned above. This is another pattern I love, Lace Wrap but again, my yarn is too thick.

Until next time.

1 comment:

CorwinFan15 said...

As a pal says, "They were all gay." The title should thus read, "Gay Men Knit."

Also, I would classify it as services or study, not worship. You make us sound like Pentecostals. Or mayhap I am overly-not-wanting-to-sound-like-a-Pentecostal.