Okay, I have to say I'm impressed. It's either the clicker training, or the dog.
Actually, since we have FOUR other dogs, I could try clicker training on them. I actually did bring Penny in the house and toss her treats while clicking. She has a problem with being submissive and I'm very concerned that this could become a problem in the future with LJ.
I purchased two books on the American Pit Bull Terrier; they arrived on Monday. APBTs are quite the handful of a dog to own. I had to buy goat's milk today from one of our neighbors... he was not impressed with LJ. His dog is a Border Collie with an energy level of about 10,000. That dog just runs and runs and runs and circles and yips and yaps and runs. LJ was intrigued and barking. I wasn't sure what I was seeing from LJ. Was it dog aggression? I called Laddy (the neighbor's dog) over to me and got him to settle down and stop running and dashing by LJ. LJ was just tickled to see another dog. He LOVES our other dogs.
Believe me, I can relate to the neighbor's apprehension and negative reaction. Just seven SHORT weeks ago I felt exactly the same way!! I would have no sooner chose an APBT for a pet than a rattlesnake! The APBT book I was reading this morning was saying that APBT owner's have to face this kind of negative reaction all the time, and it is vital to have a well socialized, well trained dog in order to set a good example for the breed. It is so important to socialize him, yet it is difficult finding places to take him so that he can meet lots of people, other dogs, etc. Although I have to say, hanging out at Wal-Mart seems like a good place. The one nearest to us has this waiting area where people wait for rides, or they just hang out. I would be able to introduce him to all manner of people within just a couple of hours. I need to make that a goal.
For a great deal of my life, I have tried to do the right thing, make the choices that would make everyone happy. But for some reason, I keep finding things to embrace that are so totally against popular societal norms. Like owning an APBT.
Speaking of doing the right thing and making everyone happy, and being accepted and loved... my blog is supposed to be one place where I can be honest and really be myself. So I am having a hard time sharing its existence with friends... because they are going to learn things about me that I may not have shared with them, because I am afraid they might not accept those things about me. I seem to have sets of friends that I can share certain things with. But my blog is supposed to be a place where I can share anything (within reason, of course) and that anyone can read. I chose to make my blog private, not in the public listings and I don't allow anonymous postings because all I was getting was spam.
But I digress... back to the boy, I couldn't help but fall in love with him. I explain his plight and introduction into our lives in this entry here: Chilled to the Bone.
Here was a picture of him, look how tiny he was, nestled in the crook of my arm. He weighed barely THREE pounds, TWO ounces.
Anyway, back to the clicker training. I missed doing any lessons yesterday (supposed to do two trainings minimum, three optimum). And none all day today until just a while ago this evening. He goes right to the "bed" every time (see the first lesson described in this entry Clicker Training) once I put it down, and now once I show him one time that I want him to do the "down" he does it every single time.
You know those really cool dogs that are really obedient? I've always wanted one of those dogs... I know it takes time and effort to train them, but I think it also helps if the dog is motivated and seems to figure out what you want him/her to do easily. So tomorrow night is Lesson 2. We'll see how it goes because there will be two other puppies in the class. Lesson 1 was orientation, with instructions for what to do at home for the next week. Oh and I was supposed to pick out ten things off this one list of things to introduce LJ to. One of the things we are supposed to accomplish in the next six weeks is go to 10 different people's homes. Well, I got one of those done today.
Also, LJ is scheduled for surgery on Tuesday to be neutered. That is supposed to help with aggression. I know that a lot of people think owning an APBT is really stupid, because like I said, I used to be one of those people myself (it feels almost as if God has a lot of fun peering down at me and noting how I would NEVER own an APBT and he says, "Oh yeah? Try this on for size.") I am studying up on the breed and learning the facts, and we will have to deal with things as they come. Hopefully he will never become dog aggressive, but he could one day. On the other hand... it seems to have a lot to do with your leadership over your dog. I must order The Dog Whisperer's book. Also, the APBT is normally not human aggressive and he seems to love people very much. I just have to keep up the socialization until he is two years old! Quite a task to take on, but I am willing.
My birthday is coming, one more month and I'll be 43 years old. I would love to have The Dog Whisperer book and the DVD for Season One. I can never remember what I would like to have when my birthday is on its way. Also, Mother's Day is just around the corner. I already have my mother's Mother's Day card purchased. Now I just have to get it sent on time! All of my sisters are now mothers, so I will be sending each of them a Mother's Day card.
Boy, I tell you, some days I don't get a chance to write a thing, then other days I'm here again and again. On the days I don't get a change to write, I often think of things to write about, so that's why I end up posting a bunch of things in one day.
One more thing. I have a tooth that is bothering me. :-( The last time I had a sensitive tooth, I went to my dentist and he determined that nothing was going on. So this time I'm hoping the sensitivity will go away. I have two teeth that purportedly need to have root canals. I was told this was necessary at least FIFTEEN years ago. The same fillings have inhabited those teeth all these years, with no problems. I will not have root canals done, I have decided this based on limited knowledge from the Weston A. Price Foundation. There are two links here that give information:
http://www.westonaprice.org/nutritiongreats/price.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/healthissues/holistic.html
There is also a book on why to avoid root canals, I'm trying to find it now and not sure what you are supposed to do if you need a root canal!! I also have a mouthful of amalgam! I don't see that being taken out any time soon. I will have to ask on a list I'm on for the name of that book about root canals. I told my sister not to have one, but she said she guesses she is just too vain right now to worry about her health. :-/
I really must stop now. Until next time.
Wednesday, April 26, 2006
Clicker Training Day 6
Labels: dogs, LJ, Nourishing Traditions
Posted by RawMilkStar at 8:31 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment