These are apples from our young apple tree. It is a Dorsett Golden. I didn't know that apples could grow in the low desert. But come to find out, there are certain apple trees that don't need as many chill hours in order to produce. We bought another apple tree, an Anna, but we were unable to keep it alive. The Anna and the Dorsett Golden do well planted together. I had also hoped to buy some pecan trees, but they are apparently difficult to purchase.
Here is an image of the apple tree itself. It is still rather small! The tree that you can see in the background to the right is a pink grapefruit tree. We also have a lemon tree and an orange tree. They all have miniature fruit on them as well.
Oh, and we have four grapevines. Two Red Thompson Seedless and two White Thompson Seedless.
Here is our peach tree, it is a dwarf version. I understand if we just let it grow, it will stop being a dwarf and will become a full sized tree. I still haven't decided if we should continue to trim it heavily and keep it a dwarf... it will definitely make protecting and harvesting the peaches easier, if it is a dwarf. Below are closeups of the peaches!

We will probably have to buy some bird netting pretty soon, if we plan to eat any of these peaches ourselves. I haven't had a good peach in years! The ones from the store are so often not ripe and they won't ripen. Even if you try storing them in a bag. When I was growing up, we used to go to a peach orchard where you could pick peaches by the bushel. You could eat them while picking, too! It was an amazing treat and I can still remember the peach juice dripping down my chin.
Until next time.


No comments:
Post a Comment