Friday, April 28, 2006

Weigh In

All right, so I decided to see how much the little guy weighs. He is 8.4 pounds. Not too terribly big for a singleton.

You can see L peering over to the side... last night we confined the rest of the herd except for her twin daughters from last year, in a smaller area. So L had the barn to herself pretty much. This morning I let the herd into the bigger area and you can see how watchful she is toward them.

Isn't that a pretty baby? Too bad we couldn't get registration paperwork on his granddam, or he would be registerable as an American Nubian (versus Purebred) through American Dairy Goat Association. But alas, he is not, so he is most likely deemed to life as a wether. Unless someone wanted him who didn't care about him having papers. And I'm not too happy with ADGA anyway, due to their apparent pro stance on NAIS.

It does not appear that L's milk has come in yet... her bag is still fairly small. Her first year of lactation she peaked at 8 pounds. Her second year, her twins were on her so we never got an accurate weight. This her third freshening. I hope she gives more than a half gallon a day this freshening. Time will tell.

Oh, and speaking of weighing... last year at my last doctor's visit, I weighed 215 pounds. Today I weighed myself since I had the scale handy just to see how much I weigh so I won't be shocked at the doctor's office next month (my next yearly appointment). I weigh 211. That is promising when you consider for the past decade I've been gaining weight every single year, sometimes 12-15 pounds each year. I'm leaning toward NT being the reason.

Until next time.

No comments: