Thursday, April 27, 2006

Yummy Cod Liver Oil

Did you think you'd ever see that adjective next to that set of words in your life? Me, either.

We were forced to take cod liver oil as children... I have one memory of trying to gag it down by pouring it over a juicy nectarine. It was never "yummy". Of course, one of the recommended daily "superfoods" with NT is cod liver oil. But it is important to take the right kind of CLO. I started out with TwinLabs CLO, but then I found out that it is derived from soy somehow. I am trying to avoid soy, so there went that brand. Carlson's has such a low amount of Vitamin A & D per dosage that you would have to take something like 14 tablespoons a day just to get in your RDA, which NT states should be minimum 10,000 IUs of Vitamin A. Some kinds of CLO have the had the vitamins removed, and then artificial forms of A & D replaced. Read more about CLO on Weston A. Price Foundation. http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnutrition/clarifications.html

Here's a newer article just published in March: http://www.westonaprice.org/modernfood/codliver-manufacture.html

One of my NT friends that is local (who I'm to meet today, cool!) told me she was going to buy a case of Green Pastures Blue Ice High Vitamin Cinnamon flavored CLO. She needed 9 bottles, and I bought the other 3. She tried it when it arrived and deemed it "YUMMY!"

I was skeptical... and I can't really say I would label it yummy... but it is not bad at all, and I might even say it tastes good on certain days.

I'm having my power cocoa this morning... will have to post that recipe someday soon... and I've already taken my CLO, St. John's Wort, Super B Complex. I'm trying to stave off the Perimenopause Fairy as one of my friends so kindly put it. She tried to visit last night, so I know she's right around the corner.

Until next time.

No comments: