I'm not kefir's biggest fan, but I believe it is an important "superfood" which helps to populate the gut with lots of "good" bacteria. I've been trying to acquire a taste for kefir for over a year now. Kefir is one of the main reasons why I feel we are so blessed and fortunuate (no matter how much I detest hoof trims) to have a supply of fresh raw milk, because the kefir grains thrive in the raw milk. I have shared many heaping tablespoons of my kefir grains in the past year.
I have been told that kefir is the enemy of candida, and this is my main reason for trying to learn to like kefir.
I usually doctor it up in a smoothie, but this takes so much time.
A few weeks ago, on a list I'm on, someone mentioned garlic and kefir and said it was really delicious. At the time I didn't have any kefir as our milk supply was so low. But last weekend I started recovering my grains again and they are now making mild, creamy kefir again (only no matter how MILD it is, the "tart" of it still gets me).
I decided to try the garlic kefir this morning. I put 1/2 cup of kefir into a glass, and crushed a sliver of a garlic clove into the kefir, and added salt and pepper to taste. It actually tastes GOOD! I think I can get my kefir down in this way. It actually has a ranch dressing taste to it. The tartness is gone, wow!
The only thing is... I wouldn't advise it first thing in the morning when you have to go to work. Otherwise, your coworkers are going to think you ate a loaf of garlic bread for breakfast for the strong garlic smell. ;-)
Until next time.

No comments:
Post a Comment