One of my fondest memories as a child was picking peaches straight from the peach orchard. We only went one time that I'm aware of; I will never forget that experience. The fuzzy peaches were perfectly ripe. Sweet juice poured from them as you took a bite. Even slurping as you bit down didn't prevent the juice from dripping to your chin and all over your fingers.
When I saw it was peach picking time at a local U-Pick farm, I told a new friend of mine who has five children. Even though she tries to provide only organic foods for her family, she decided giving her children the memory of picking fresh peaches would be worth the risk. This was our first meeting in person, and I also brought kefir grains to share.
We picked about ten pounds and they left with about 65 pounds! I was a little envious in spite of myself... knowing that I would not be going home and wanting to process THAT many peaches! I ended up making peach popsicles with ours, and ds2 made a peach cobbler.
Until next time.

No comments:
Post a Comment