LJ was neutered yesterday. It's a good thing. It was time, he was old enough.
Yesterday morning I was upset and crying over him again. It was a rough morning for us and for him, because he is used to a routine of being able to drink water, have something to eat once he gets up in the morning, and play outdoors with the big dogs. But since he had to have surgery, we couldn't let him go out, we had to keep his water up, he couldn't eat. He was pretty cranky, and I was feeling scared about handling him. Scared that I was going to make him do something that would cause him to growl at me...
I'm confused. I joined a list for dog training, and one lady told me that I should not be correcting him for growling, because that is how we end up with dogs that bite without issuing any warning. Then I read in Cesar's Way that we should make sure the dog does not growl at you when you get around his/her food. So what to do? The lady who told me not to correct him for growling is a Dog Whisperer follower.
I was feeling overwhelmed by the whole situation. I've mentioned a lot my lack of energy. And I wonder if we've made a mistake. I shared my concerns with my dh, and he assured me that I don't have to take this burden on all by myself. He said all the right things. It was incredible.
After I picked up LJ, I took him by my job. That was a real boost to my confidence level. Everyone that met him loved him, even my coworker who has complained the most loudly about what a mistake I'm making by choosing to keep the boy. She thought he was adorable and very well behaved. I even found out that one of my coworkers who I would NEVER have imagined would have a thing to do with pit bulls, says "they" have two pit bulls and they call them "pet" bulls. I think they belong to her daughter and her daughter's boyfriend.
LJ made a good impression on everyone, and he is welcome to come back. I was so relieved because there is a good mix of men and women and he can see lots of different people in one place.
Anyway... I just wanted to say that I am still having concerns, and hoping and praying we have made the right decision. I was wondering if that was part of my problem, that I really didn't pray about the right decision. But then I thought about how God usually sends things into our lives for a reason. We just don't know the reason yet. Who knows? Maybe I need this little puppy in my life because I will end up getting more exercise as a result? Maybe that will be an answer to my prayer to have more energy.
I ordered two puppy books today, and expedited the shipping. I hope they arrive soon. One more thing. The lady who said we should not correct LJ for growling... was concerned that he was growling. That really alarmed and scared me. She says we have to find a personal trainer immediately and gave me some names and numbers to call. I don't understand though, the dog is supposed to growl as a warning, but he's not supposed to growl or it indicates aggression towards humans? I have not begun the research for the right trainer yet. I think it might be a good idea to have some professional help. My coworker with the "pet" bulls? She also told me she cannot walk the male dog herself, because he is too strong. She said the dogs were aggressive and unpredictable. From what I understand, these dogs sound like they are the "pack leader" which does makes them dangerous.
Our goal is to make LJ a "responsible pit bull citizen". I go back and forth on this, debating in my head. It will be okay, it might not be okay. Another thing that had me upset yesterday morning was because I'd just read in Cesar's Way where he said you HAVE to take your dogs on walks every day. Like, hour and a half walks in the morning and half an hour at night!! He said it's not enough to just let them run loose on your property, no matter if it is several acres. I tried walking the four outdoor dogs on Monday. Like an idiot!!! I ended up having them getting into fights. The two girls that fight each other, they stand on their hind legs and spar each other. Whenever I order them to stop, they do. But it was really stupid of me. I am ashamed to admit the stupidity of that!!!
I am even tempted to delete this entry. I guess what I want my readers to know is that I am trying to consider every angle in this situation. The fact of the matter is, we live out in the country. Our other dogs NEVER leave our property. We rarely have company. When people do come over, we cage the dogs before visitors arrive. Our property is fenced. When people come to visit, they always make plans ahead of time because of the long distance.
I'm really not concerned about LJ hurting people. I was in the beginning, but I've learned that they are not human aggressive without reason. Cesar explains how it happens, dogs aren't born human aggressive. They are turned that way by humans.
So, it's not people I'm worried about. And it's not like we have any small children here anyway (this seems to be a great concern for most people - that pit bulls will attack young children). It's our other dogs that I care about, and don't want to see LJ turn on them and hurt them because of the way they act. I see that we have some issues, so we have to work on making change now, while he's young.
I didn't mean to go on this long. I am tired tonight, and just wanted to share that I am not just being an idiot "following my heart" and not thinking this through carefully.
Dang. What I really meant to sit here and type about was something altogether different. I will do that quickly in a new post.
Wednesday, May 03, 2006
LJ visits the vet
Labels: LJ
Posted by RawMilkStar at 8:04 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment