Saturday, July 01, 2006

High Hopes

Remember the lyrics, "High hopes, he's got. . . high hopes, he's got, high in the sky, apple pie, hopes"?? That song's kind of echoing in my head today. Only because I feel like I have some desire to do something, and that something seems to be clean the refrigerators and freezers. Yes, I meant plural. We have three refrigerators and two upright freezers. Where else do you think we put all the milk, eggs and fermenting foods? ;-)

Seriously, all my life I used to think my mother and one of my sisters were a little bit stooopid for having more than one refrigerator. I used to think it was just making them more work. I held firm for years with my family, refusing to allow us to have more than one refrigerator. When we moved out here, I was told about a lady that was selling her upright freezer for $50. I acquiesed. Next thing you know, we get chickens, then goats. The second year we had does in milk, and 3 dozen hens, it became obvious we needed another refrigerator. Then somewhere along the way, we acquired a third refrigerator, and then a second freezer!

Two of my guys, dh and ds2 are out of town for a couple of days. They have a job they are working on and in order to save gas, they are staying overnight tonight and maybe on Sunday night, too. So ds1 and I are home alone. I should just take it totally easy, and do NOTHING. After all, no one would know what I did for two whole days. But I decided maybe I'd clean out the refrigerators and freezers this weekend. I have already started on the freezers. One is already empty. We have it on the porch, but we emptied it and unplugged it due to the heat of the summer. We think it would take too much energy to keep it running out in the heat. That is where I put my foot down. We can fill the house with freezers and refrigerators, but we aren't going to have one outdoors in the heat! During the winter, yes.

I removed all the food from the indoor upright freezer, turned it off and have it thawing out. I am planning to do an INVENTORY of what is in it! No one ever knows what is in there. We are continually buying more food, because we are out.

The whole high hopes thing is about all the things I'm hoping to get done. There is a bag of chicken breast thawed out in one fridge, and a pork loin in another. I finished cooking a goat shoulder yesterday and need to clean the meat. You know, pick the meat off the bone so it can be used in something. And there is only ds1 and I here, so we won't need to eat all this meat. I may be freezing some of it again.

I also brought home a good 8 hours worth of work from my job, since I'm going to be off on July 4th. I could go in and work on Monday or Friday, but I would just as soon work from home and save the gas.

Let's see what else... just general housecleaning. The living room needs some attention, picked up and vacuumed, the kitchen, the bedroom, bathrooms. Then I need to pay bills, and figure out how it's going with our money. And work on some computer stuff. Oh yeah. Got my whole weekend planned out.

We haul water for one of our neighbors. Let me clarify -- dh hauls water for one of our neigbors. He usually delivers water every Tuesday, but the guy's tank only holds about 300 gallons. Maybe 500. But the guy usually calls on the weekend, too. So of course, I just got the call that he needs a load. Since dh won't be back until Monday, that leaves me to deliver water. It's not that big of a deal... but the big truck is gone, so that means I get to unload the trailer, back my vehicle up to the trailer and hook it up. Then back up the trailer to where the water tank is (easier said than done), then shove the water tank off our other truck, onto the trailer, then leave the property. OH, let me take pictures. I'll be back in an hour or so.

This post is part one of the Hauling Water series:
Water Hauling High Hopes Part 1 of 3

Water Hauling We Jes' Call That Bein' Neighborly Part 2 of 3

Water Hauling Loading the Water Tank Part 3 of 3

Until next time.

No comments: