Saturday, December 30, 2006

Shine Your Sink

All right, I'm going to break down and try doing FlyLady. I should say try doing FlyLady again. I tried her years ago when she first started out. Prior to that, when ds1 was an infant, I tried getting organized with The Sidetracked Home Executives aka The Slob Sisters.

That hasn't worked yet. I've been trying on and off for the past 19 years. I have pretty much given up that I'll ever be organized.

But a couple of friends of mine have had success with FlyLady (my sister also loves FlyLady, but you know how that "my sibling does it, so I certainly am not going to" thing goes?). So I am going to give FlyLady another try. The first thing she says to do is shine your sink. So I actually got up and went and did that.

The thing about my sink... it's such a mess...

The spout is broken away from the connection, so we have learned to deal with the spout being floppy. Being that the water turns on and off with the one handle which is connected to the spout, you have to hold onto the spout and then turn it on with the handle. The faucet was replaced not very long ago, maybe six months or at least less than a year. It was a Walmart special for about $40.

When we moved in here, dh took out the original sink, which was one of the normal ones that are very shallow and we took our nice deep one from our last home. Traded them out. I guess dh didn't use the sink connectors which holds the sink in place. I have a packet of them sitting right here, which I had hoped to connect by now. Apparently it's a really awkward job to complete because you have to lie under the sink. So the entire sink is always shifting around in its slot. That means lots of nasty crap gets under the rim of the sink and when it shifts, then there is that nastiness exposed. I really must get those sink connectors in place, but that means I'd have to find the plumber's putty first. You put plumber's putty under the sink rim.

Then the cabinet doors on the front. One side fell completely off. I don't know why or how.

I have company coming over this morning, in less than two hours. I am panicked because it is such a mess outside. With dh being out of town for the past five and a half weeks, things have only gotten worse. The dogs decided to tear up an old couch we have and there is fluff everywhere. It looks like it snowed big billowy puffs all over the yard.

I did warn the people coming. Sometimes I think that's the worst thing to do, because then they are focused on it. If I just act nonchalant, then they can't say anything. People *ALWAYS* say don't worry about it, our place is a mess, too. But then they are freaked out to see how messy this place is. I should snap a picture or two, but would rather not incriminate myself.

Anyway, now's as good a time as any to make New Year's Resolutions, which I NEVER make because I can never follow through.

But these are the two I am going to make for this year:

  1. 2007 is the year I'm going to get organized once and for all
  2. I am determined to incorporate Nourishing Traditions more fully into my lifestyle which I hope will help me to lose some weight. If this guy and his wife had success, maybe if I really apply myself, it will work for me, too. I have the most difficult to attain ingredient per NT - my raw goat's milk.
  3. Wait, one more. I'm going to fix the kitchen sink so it isn't so difficult to use. At least I know for sure I can have success with this one.
Now, out to tidy up in the yard as much as I can. Please God, don't let them need to use the bathroom for they aren't coming inside the house.

Until next time.

No comments: