Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The Flies Part II

I blogged a couple weeks ago about how horrible the flies are. It's easier to see the millions of flies in the inset of the brick, but you can click on the photo to see a larger image if you are really curious. Basically, every little black spot you see is a fly.

Disgusting, eh? When I came home yesterday afternoon, we had to leave right away to take the radiator from our other vehicle to town. So I parked on the side of the house, instead of at the back. When I saw all the flies, in the shade, drinking the cool water (which leaks from the outlet valve of the air conditioner), I just had to snap a few shots! I also made the mistake of leaving my vehicle's door open while I took the pictures, so by the time dh and I were ready to leave, a hundred flies had taken up residence inside! We were swatting and opening and closing the windows all the way into town, and then there were still more flying around on the way home.

Thankfully, whoever tends the cantaloupe fields finally had mercy on everyone that lives for ten square miles or however far flies can fly... and plowed the rotten cantaloupe into the ground. The fly has a life span of 15-30 days. So we shouldn't have to deal with these suckers for too many more weeks.

Until next time.

1 comment:

bfmomma said...

omg... I could.not.handle.this. I go absolutely nuts when there's a fly in my house. I'm normally quite pacifistic (carry spiders outside...), but flies? I smoosh them easily and quickly...

let's hope these buggers are near the end of their lifespans...