Friday, November 14, 2008

Like Manna From Heaven

I always thought the expression "like manna from heaven" meant the food was delicious beyond words. Exodus 16:31 tells us a bit about what manna looked and tasted like, as does Numbers 11:7.


Exodus 16:31 And the house of Israel called the name thereof Manna: and it was like coriander seed, white; and the taste of it was like wafers made with honey.

Numbers 11:7 And the manna was as coriander seed, and the colour thereof as the colour of bdellium.

However, the Israelites started getting hungry for other things:

Numbers 11:4 And the mixt multitude that was among them fell a lusting: and the children of Israel also wept again, and said, Who shall give us flesh to eat?

Numbers 11:5 We remember the fish, which we did eat in Egypt freely; the cucumbers, and the melons, and the leeks, and the onions, and the garlick:

Numbers 11:6 But now our soul is dried away: there is nothing at all, beside this manna, before our eyes.

So I guess manna wasn't delicious beyond words, I guess not when it's all you've eaten for forty years in a row.

Exodus 16:35 And the children of Israel did eat manna forty years, until they came to a land inhabited; they did eat manna, until they came unto the borders of the land of Canaan.

At any rate, to get back to the title of my post... let's go with manna being delicious beyond words. Just humor me.

I had insomnia last night, and I know I've written before, even within the last ten days that my insomnia is often caused by hunger that does not exhibit itself physically.

Sometimes I'm just stubborn and don't want to eat anything, even though I know if I do, I will almost certainly be able to get back to sleep. I woke up at 1:30 and laid there about 15 minutes before deciding to get up and get something done on the computer that I've been needing to do. Something that will organize a part of my life and should make it easier.

Around 3:40am, Kev stumbled out of his room. He said something about food within an hour of getting up and mentioned cheese crisps. By that time I was starting to feel quite hungry. He decided against them, because we didn't have any hot sauce. But my mouth was already primed for a cheese crisp, and my stomach was getting more and more hungry by the minute.

I mentioned them again, and Kev decided to make us each a cheese crisp and a lovely bowl of leftover chili, with a plop of sour cream.

He brought mine to me, and I can't even begin to put into words how exquisitely delicious the combination was.

The most delicious taste is to drop a spoonful of chili onto the cheese crisp. Oh boy, oh boy. So yummy.

We finally found a chili recipe that we all love. We've made it several times since Kev found it. This is the original recipe: Flatlander Chili but as usual we made some changes to the ingredients.

Here's our version:
  • 4 pounds lean ground beef
  • 4 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomato
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 1/4 cup chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 2 lbs dried beans, cooked (the guys use pintos)
  1. Cook beans ahead of time (several hours).
  2. Place ground beef in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble, and set aside.
  3. Add all ingredients to a large kettle. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Cheese Crisps (also known as Quesadillas)

Start with a clean cast iron skillet with just a tiny bit of butter to keep the tortilla from sticking. Place one tortilla in the skillet, add some shredded cheese and top with another tortilla. Cook over medium heat until lightly toasted on side, turn and cook on the other side.

Until next time.

No comments: