Saturday, November 29, 2008

Weeding the Garden

The rain last week did wonderful things for my garden. One of the best - it made pulling weeds a cinch.

I went out this morning and spent about half an hour pulling weeds. I got some before and after shots.
I left the one little fern looking weed. I'm not sure what it is.

This next section shows the Freckles lettuce going to seed. It is a romaine style or cos lettuce.

Much more tidy. The weeds take nutrients from the ground that would be used by my vegetables, so it is important to remove them.


There's my guard kitty, Miss Vicious. She's been keeping an eye on the gopher hole this morning.



I left some of the weeds because the gopher isn't bothering my plants - maybe it is eating the weeds?

After I gathered up all the weeds, I gave them to the fowl. They LOVE it when I bring them fresh greens from the garden.

See the duck? We have two. Dh bought them several months ago, to butcher for Christmas. Well, it turns out there was a male and a female; the female has started to lay eggs. The male is the one visible in the next photo. He's white. His wife is brown. I think the pair have received a pardon since they are "earning" their keep by producing eggs, and maybe more ducks in the future.


I wish we could let them free range, but our dogs would kill them in a heart beat. There are also flying predators that have tried to attack our chickens from the top of their cage.

Until next time.

No comments: