Okay, the second bed is planted. It took me from 9:30am to 2:30pm to get the watering system set up, and the seeds planted. I took an hour break between noon and one.
It takes time, but it's worth it. Also, it wouldn't take so much time if I didn't have to worry about all the critters out here that want to eat my veggies.
Also, if I bought new watering system equipment it would have been quicker. I spent a good hour rummaging around looking for pieces so I could put the system together. I had to put ends on the hose that runs from the faucet to the bed, I shortened the length of the hose on the first bed. Just a lot of little things.
I also drew a map of where I would plant everything in the garden. Unfortunately I sketched the map wrong, so I thought I had more room than I did. But that's okay. I compromised. Hmmm... the BS in the first row there stands for Brussels Sprouts. Every once in a while I come across a word that I've spelled wrong all my life. Brussels Sprouts contains one of those words. I never realized Brussels had the "s" at the end.
It is so exciting to me during the next week, waiting to see the brand new baby plants poking their heads up through the soil.
I am trying something completely different with this bed. I lined the bottom of a pallet with hardware cloth and chicken wire, with hopes of keeping the gophers out. I also lined the sides of the pallets along the edges so that they go up about one foot. I hope gophers can't climb. *crossing fingers* Dh filled the spaces in the pallets with composted goat manure/hay which is also mixed with dirt. The watering system didn't do a very good job at moistening the dirt, so I ended up using a hose with a sprinkler attachment. I think I will go out there at least once a day and water the entire area real well. Once the seeds have germinated, they will seek out water from the nearest source. But the seeds won't germinate unless they stay nice and wet.
It occurred to me as I was sketching out the map that I'd forgotten that it's important to plant vegetables together that do well side by side...
I am soaking my Sweet Pea flower seeds, and actually had to use that spot in the garden to plant the turnips and carrots! I will have to figure out what to do about the Sweet Pea seeds, and the celery seeds tomorrow. They are both soaking.
Well, it's time to milk now.
Until next time.
Saturday, November 08, 2008
Seeds Planted
Labels: Gardening
Posted by RawMilkStar at 2:32 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment