Monday, November 10, 2008

Warm Vanilla Milk

I couldn't sleep a few nights ago. I hate just lying there, wondering why I'm awake. Knowing I have to get up at a certain time. It was different during the years when I was a stay at home mom and had no set schedule.

I learned in my thirties that sometimes when I can't sleep it's because I'm hungry. Only I don't feel hungry at all. And in fact, the thought of putting food in my mouth is the last thing I'm interested in. I learned by trial and error if I just get up and eat something with protein: a hunk of cheese, a glass of milk, a couple of slices of ham or turkey, I'm able to go back to sleep. Even though food is the last thing on my mind, and even sounds repulsive. I believe I learned this because when I was a stay at home mom, I could be more flexible with my schedule. I could get up and read a book, wash dishes or get on the computer. And usually after being up for a couple of hours, finally, my stomach would start growling. Suddenly and voraciously.

One of my coworkers has diabetes and she says it can be a sign of low blood sugar to be hungry, but not feel hungry.

Anyway, the other night as I was lying there, unable to sleep, I reminded myself, "Self, you're probably hungry, you should get up and get something to snack on." Hot cocoa sounded good, and we had Ovaltine (I like to keep it on hand for a quick glass of cold chocolate goat's milk for breakfast). Only when I got up, I couldn't find the Ovaltine. It wasn't in the usual place, and wasn't in the pantry area either. That means it probably got left in the car. I'm not going out for Ovaltine at nearly midnight, so I thought of what else might sound appealing.

I decided on having what I will call Vanilla Milk. Here's the ingredients.

Heat until just warm.

If you like vanilla, you will love this.

Until next time.

No comments: