My grand idea for the new bed seems to be a flop. The problem is I thought we could get by with using straight compost to fill the pallet, but it's too airy and isn't holding moisture well. I tell you, if it's not one thing, it's another.
The watering system is having trouble working due to the airiness. Normally the ground is dense enough that the water spreads evenly, but with the airy compost it is flowing downward, not outward.
Normally I mix the compost into the dirt already in the bed. In hindsight, that's what we should have done. We should have mixed equal parts compost with dirt before filling the pallet. But that would have been one more huge step.
It's imperative that the bed stay moist during the next few days so the seeds can germinate. Today it's possible for me to run out there every couple hours and spray the bed with the hose. Dh found an old spare hose that I can use for that purpose. We have lots of hoses around here, and most are in daily use for watering the critters.
I think I want raised beds. I can line the bottom with hardware cloth to keep out the gophers and make the sides 16 inches tall. I hope they can't jump or climb.
Here are some of the sites I found which show the type I want:
Sunset: The Perfect Raised Bed (We would of course use used material, not brand new. $178? No way.)
Here's another one from Sunset - five raised beds for $500. Sheesh.
Garden Girl builds raised beds. I just read at the last site, use treated wood or it will rot quickly. Garden Girl says not to... also, she is using 10" wide boards, while Sunset says they will warp easy or come apart at the sides.
Wet dirt is heavy.
About.com's How to Make a Raised Bed.
I've been Square Foot Gardening for over a decade.
Earth Easy says don't use treated wood until it's been proven safe. They suggest using cedar instead, and project the beds will last 10-20 years. They also suggest composite plastic lumber.
University of Illinois says raised beds stay warmer. Hmmm... it is plenty hot here in the summer time. Although I don't do a lot of gardening in the summer.
Heh, check out this idea for raised beds: Using flagstone to make low walls, which only costs $190 to $280 per ton, PLUS delivery. And each bed uses 3 tons. Funny.
University of Arizona Cooperative Extension says raised beds use LOTS of water in the summertime. Hmmm... well, I'll have to think more about this.
Until next time.
Sunday, November 09, 2008
The New Garden Bed
Labels: Gardening
Posted by RawMilkStar at 4:10 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment