Tuesday, October 24, 2006

A.F.5 Rename Your Files Program Review

I appreciate that Windows allows us to change filenames in one fell swoop, but I hate the naming convention. For example, if you want to change the name of ten pictures all in a row, click on (highlight) the first one in line, hold the SHIFT key, and while holding the SHIFT key, click on the last picture in line that you want to rename. All the pictures will be highlighted. Let go of the SHIFT key. While your cursor is hovering over the highlighted pictures, right-click for the shortcut menu. You will see an option to Rename. Click on that, and you will be allowed to rename the first picture in line, and all the others will be the same name, but they'll have a number appended with parentheses around the number. Like this: renamed_photo.jpg, renamed_photo(2).jpg, renamed_photo(3).jpg, etc. I just don't like those parentheses!

So about a year ago, I went looking for a program to rename my files the way I'd like to rename them. I found one I like and have continued to use. It's called A.F.5 Rename Your Files by Alex Fauland. It is a free program, and works quite well. I like to rename the photos that I take, since the camera names them something like 101_2875.jpg. Which isn't very easy to remember, nor very descriptive. ;-)

I'm slowly but surely working through labeling all my posts.

Until next time.

No comments: