Near the first of this month, on a post entitled Thinking and Not Crocheting, I mentioned a pretty young rooster doing something neat and cute.
I finally got a picture of him yesterday morning. He's less than a year old, but anxious to make room for himself in the flock, and especially to make himself attractive to the ladies. The "Big" rooster, our original, guards his girls very closely, and will attack a younger male for straying onto his turf. This guy is the grandson of our first "Pretty Rooster".
So the neat and cute thing I saw him do... I have heard that roosters do this, but have never seen it with my own eyes. Apparently roosters keep their eye out for yummy food and then cluck and call to the hens to come get some. I was emptying the watering buckets and rinsing them out. Bugs are always under the buckets, and as soon as I lift one they scurry for darkness. The young rooster snatched one of the bugs that was scurrying away, holding it securely in his beak he walked a few feet toward a group of hens. He tossed the bug down on the ground in front of them and started clucking to them about this dandy, delicious bug candy he had found. They flocked around him and started pecking at the bug.
It's neat to experience things firsthand that I've previously only read about.
Until next time.
Saturday, October 28, 2006
Pretty Young Rooster
Labels: chickens
Posted by RawMilkStar at 7:58 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment