Monday, October 16, 2006

Head Cold

I'm sick.

I think it's a head cold.

I should have stayed home and rested yesterday, but I went and worked with dh. I started sneezing on Saturday afternoon, but couldn't tell if it was due to the green chiles being broiled in the oven, allergies, or if I was getting sick. A telltale sign of getting sick for me is the "nose dripping like a faucet" aspect (that was happening). My tonsils were a bit inflamed as well. This could also be interpreted as allergy problems.

It's always hard for me to tell if I'm getting sick. I don't get sick-sick very often. The last time I was out sick from work was the summer of 2002. I have coworkers that are out every month or every other month, with a cold or flu. Ds2 is JEALOUS that I'm sick. He thinks my whining, "I'm miserable, my nose is running, I think I have a fever" is bragging. He was having the same symptoms on Saturday afternoon. Sneezing mainly. So he was pretty much overjoyed when he woke up yesterday morning and felt crappy. I went off to work with dh, ds2 took a long nap, and woke up feeling great.

When I told him taking a nap is one of the WORST things you can do if you want to continue to get sicker. LOL.

While dh was talking to his sister, and later in the day, his mother, I actually managed to make some progress on the baby sweater. The last time I was able to make any significant progress was on October 2nd. The part I'm working on is the back. I am currently "shaping the armholes" and I have to continue until this section is 5" long.

I've always had some confusion about the "WS" versus the "RS". WS = Wrong Side. RS = Right Side. As in, "...ending with a WS row."

Yesterday I painted a deck using the sprayer. It was kind of a nightmare, since the wind kept blowing. I ended up with several areas of overspray.

Note to self: Listen to what you've always heard all your life. You CANNOT spray a formerly painted surface with *stain*. The stain will drip off the painted surfaces.

Yes. I can't believe I did that. But I did. I actually went ahead and painted an already painted surface with STAIN. I actually ended up making it look okay, but I hope it's not peeling off today, or won't peel off the next time it rains.


I'm making some soup for myself. I sauted some onions and garlic and wow, the onions were strong. I had to continue with peeling my garlic with my eyes closed. I found myself using techniques I've learned about for people who are blind. For example, keeping the sharp edge of the knife away from me. I am using a chevon back. We'll see how this turns out. I'm also thinking yellow squash, zucchini squash, carrots, leeks, and okra. I wonder if we have barley... that would be perfect. I'd be making a gumbo sort of soup.

I have so much to do today, but I'm steeling myself against doing any of it that isn't absolutely necessary. I'm going to take a nap here soon. My back has finally unstiffened from last night and I'm tired.

I made some comfort food for myself, which was partly good and partly bad. I don't believe that regular semolina spaghetti is very nutritious. But butter and freshly crushed garlic are. I also had two carrots, steamed, for the Vitamin A. That's what my mom always tells me to have when I've got a throat thing going on... cooked carrots with butter. My tonsils actually feel less inflamed this morning.

I started taking goldenseal/echinachea tincture on Saturday when I first started sneezing, just in case, to strengthen my immune system. I am still taking that, plus gargling with strong salt water. My MIL reminded me to put some cayenne pepper in the water. I don't think this is going to last long, but I know I need to have extra rest to give my body the chance to heal itself.

Off to nap.

Until next time.

No comments: