Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Back to Real Life

I spent some time with the baby goats today.

Typically the bucklings in our herd are born ready to be disbudded, but I could never bring myself to burn the hornbuds off that soon. The doelings tend to need a couple of weeks until they are ready to be disbudded. Last year I learned that lesson. I decided to just disbud one of our doelings, even though her hornbuds were barely discernible. Like small pimples is what they felt like. Well, that doesn't work. If the hornbuds have not yet erupted, they can't be burned off.

The little boy was ready to be done today, so I gathered everything up and asked ds2 and my dear husband if they would help me. I do it all myself, but it is a nerve wracking experience and one that is more easily done with moral support.

After I burned his hornbuds off, I put him in with his dam. He nursed a few moments and was off and running, kicking and jumping. I grabbed his sister and held her for about ten minutes, stroking her chin and letting her know humans make goats feel good.

I also discovered she loves molasses. I just happened to have the molasses there from the birth (we give the does molasses water for energy after they kid) and I dipped my pinky finger into the molasses and near her mouth. She sniffed and then started licking and sucking my finger. Neat! I am leaving the molasses out and every time I hold her, I will give her some sweet molasses so it will imprint on her brain that humans give sweet treats.

Until next time.

No comments: