Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Countdown: Three Days Until Wedded Bliss

Or maybe the title should read "How To Keep Out of the Loony Bin While Planning a Wedding All By Oneself and Worrying About a Pregnant Goat".

The solution I came up with? Take today and tomorrow off work, and also next Monday and Tuesday to recuperate.

My original plan was: Do everything, work every day as usual, stay at the hotel on Saturday night and Sunday night, check out Monday at 11am and go to work the very next day.

I realized yesterday that if I continue at this pace, I will not make it to the wedding on Saturday, but would surely be placed in the nearest loony bin instead.

So even though I do not have the comp time built up to take off four days, I asked my boss if she could make it happen. I told her if I can make it up later, great, but if she needs to dock my check, so be it. My sanity is worth a few hundred dollars.

When I told dh about my idea for keeping my sanity, he decided his would also benefit from the same technique. He, however, has 30 hours sick time accrued and was told when he asked that those are his days, and he can take them whenever he wants them, sick or not. That's great. Other jobs where I've had benefits usually they sometimes required a doctor's statement for taking off sick! Imagine! Having to go to the doctor just to stay home from work. What kind of rest is that? And nowadays, who could get in to see their doctor on the same day for a headache or cold? Dh loses his sick days at the end of the year, so it is good for him to take them while he can.

Now I can understand better why one would choose to have bridesmaids and matron of honor, etc. My mom, with my grandma having died so recently, is not really able to help much, not to mention my mom really doesn't know the first thing about planning any type of event, let alone a wedding. So pretty much everything has fallen on my shoulders. I thank God daily for my boss, deciding to intervene in the food area. I am not sure if there would be food at all, if not for her.

Also, regarding bridesmaids. . . I do not know enough women that could have afforded to buy a dress and take the time to work for me on this wedding. I actually can't name even one woman that I could have asked. Okay, one woman, but she is planning her own wedding for the 13th of November and so she couldn't have done it for me.

Dh is keen on making a fabulous cake. I bought a Wilton cake book for him that cost $12.

I've been trying to choose the song I want to walk down the aisle to, for the past hour or longer. I'm getting really tired. I'm going to lay down for a while and see if I can sleep before I have to go out and milk and face the world.

Until next time.

No comments: