Saturday, July 07, 2007

More Wedding Thoughts

I have been studying the pattern - the picture and the material requirements, and I finally noticed that the jacket the model is wearing is different than the drawn image.

I ordered the pattern last night. To figure out what the differences were between the model's version and the other, I decided to take another look at the pattern online. I will be using Jacket B. I was pleased to discover that I won't need as much material as I thought I'd need. I originally thought I'd need 9 yards. But it looks like I'll need only six. That's if the material is 45" wide. If 60", then I'll need even less.

I found some material I like and it's only $2.95/yard. It's 100% Polyester. The pattern says to use, "Crepe, Crepe Back Satin, Brocade, Satin, Shantung, Tafetta or Velvet." I just looked at a place online and Tafetta costs $20/yard. Sheesh! OH. But it's 118" inches on the width. That's about twice the width of normal material. It's $1.75 to order a swatch of the material. The same place also has Crepe Back Satin for $6.95/yard. Crepe Back Satin is 100% Polyester.



And I had an idea to dress up plain envelopes... I think it will work out pretty good! My mom laughed yesterday and said, "You mean you aren't planning to pay $1 per envelope?" LOL.

We've thought about the location some more and the old Western town isn't really going to work out. So it will be at my job. We are also discussing the food a bit more... dh wants to make tamales so I told him we could have a taco bar. He wants to make cheese enchiladas, too. So I'm not sure what we're doing yet. It's going to make a lot more cleanup work. We could have chips and dip on each table... just thinking a bit out loud. And ds2 has decided he wants to make the wedding cake after all. A variation of the Flag Cake that he made on July 4th.

When we were married the first time, we had a very small wedding. Family only. And it was thrown together within a week. We weren't going to have a wedding. My MIL strongly encouraged us to, and loaned me her wedding dress and her husband's suit fit her son. We were married in a small wedding chapel. We didn't have a reception, we went to dinner with MIL and FIL.

My youngest sister asked me yesterday if she could please be one of my bridesmaids because she's never been one before. And she was hoping her daughter could be the flower girl and her youngest son could be the ring bearer. That would be neat, but it would make things even more costly and stressful, in my opinion. I mean, the dresses to make/rent.

I'm starting to feel a little bit like I may be taking on too much by wanting to make my own dress... I am planning to make a test dress... it will help me know how the dress will look on me and I will get an idea of how long it's going to take. Now I need to get off this computer and get some housework done. But first two more pictures. Ds2 asked me to take this picture when we arrived home last night.


The two newest members of our pet menagerie. Ds1 has been wanting a kitten, and my youngest sister's cat had a litter a couple of months ago. Talk about adding a bit more stress... LJ is TOO interested in the kittens... he thinks they are squirrels or birds or something. So we're working with him, while keeping the kittens in ds1's bedroom. LJ stays outside much of the time and almost every time he comes in the person letting him in says, "LJ is IN THE HOUSE." So hopefully that habit will help us to keep the kittens safe! LJ doesn't bother our other cats, but they were already here when he was brought home and they all whipped him soundly when he weighed under 5 pounds. So he pretty much thinks they will put a slam on him. He also did not bother the baby chicks that were living in the house. So he can and will learn, but we will be diligent in the meantime.

Until next time.

No comments: