Saturday, July 28, 2007

Dancing Lesson Number 1

Last night was our annual client dance at my place of employment. Although I don't normally work on Fridays, I am on duty for event days. I picked up the shred first to get that out of the way and was at work by 11am.

The party theme was a luau... our young deejay played about 90% country and western. I'm not sure how "luau" translates into country/western. I think what happened is the young man wasn't sure just what was appropriate to play for all the old folks in attendance. Usually his grandfather is the deejay and the young man tags along to help. He must be about 15 years old. Unfortunately, grandpa is dying from cancer. He was in attendance last night, but looked very gaunt and tired. Sadly, one of our client's mother is also dying from cancer. She was there last night, too and poor thing, I felt so bad for her I actually broke into tears at one point.

So during one of these lovely cowboy serenades, my boss begins waltzing around and urging me to follow her steps. The reason I never dance in public is because I'm so embarrassed, thinking everyone is looking at me and laughing and pointing. So I was rather wooden and wasn't sure what to do with my hands. Uh, the song was NOT something to dance to, and my boss admitted that.

One of my coworkers thought it was pretty funny and took a picture with his phone. A few minutes later, my boss was talking to him about how she's won dance contests and how she can do this dance and that dance and I don't remember what precipitated this comment from my coworker, "Well, at least you have to have rhythm!" Which obviously implied that I have none. Sigh.

I also came to the realization that a custom for weddings is other men will want to dance with the bride (I promise I'm not this dense). I'm not sure if my honey is going to be comfortable with that. So I'm maybe rethinking the dance thing. Especially since I "have no rhythm". ;-)

Wonder if there's a ballroom dancing instructional video... I'm going to try this one. Fred Astaire Learn To Dance 1 - Ballroom Dancing.

I've been keeping track of the money I've spent, and it is right around $300. This includes all the "mistakes" like buying two patterns and material for a dress I won't be making. Ack.

Until next time.

No comments: