Wednesday, December 05, 2007

The Earring Mystery

So the weirdest thing happened to me this morning. This is one of my three pairs of earrings. You might notice the posts are different. Well, they weren't when I put them in my ears this morning. The post that comes with this pair of earrings is the one on the left.

We were halfway to work and I reached up to touch my earrings. I do that fairly often, and when I touched my left ear I noticed the post was missing. I felt disappointed right away, thinking I'd have to not wear my earrings today. Not that I care THAT much about wearing earrings, but when I wear this dress I'm wearing today, I like to wear jewelry. Anyway, so I thought maybe the post had fallen off while I was sitting there in the car and I turned on the overhead light, took off my seatbelt and started looking around in my seat.

That's when I found that other post, the one to the top right. A very nice looking, much higher quality post. Not just the little squiggly piece of metal with an opening, but the kind that grips so you are less likely to lose the earring.

First off, I'm the only person wearing earrings who rides in our vehicle. Second, I don't have any posts like the one above. Third, how bizarre is that, that I lose a post, and find a nicer replacement within moments? A tiny little post that seems to have appeared from thin air.

One year ago, I would have probably started crying because I would have felt like God had performed a tiny minuscule miracle just for me. I would have felt loved and cherished that God cares for me THAT much, down to losing an earring post!

However - and I have a much longer, more detailed blog post coming eventually - our church does not believe that God intervenes and certainly is out of the miracle performing business. One of the arguments used is we are to heed 2 Corinthians 5:7 "For we walk by faith, not by sight." But you see, I wasn't asking for a "sign" or proof that God exists, or that God loves me. It just happened, and like I said, a year ago, a warm feeling would have come over me and I would have felt like God was putting his arm around me and whispering, "I love you my child, you see, even the smallest things matter to me when it comes to my children."

But now that my views have been challenged, I'm not sure what to think. Do guardian angels exist? How and where did that post come from? I mean, if someone else that rode in our vehicle wore earrings, or if we picked up women hitchhikers, or took earring wearing people places, or simply if one of my pairs of earrings had a post like this one.

This is only one of many hundreds of tiny coincidences I've encountered like this.

I must be one of the luckiest people in the whole wide world to have such good luck all the time. Or maybe it's that I'm so optimistic. Maybe another person would have gotten angry or upset that the post they found didn't match the original one exactly. I suppose that could be construed as having bad luck. "Boy, I find a post, but it doesn't match. How awful is my luck?"

Until next time.

No comments: