I wonder how Alton Brown's mom feels about him being a cook. I wonder if she calls him on the phone and asks him questions that she knows he has buried in the deep recesses of his brain.
I know what it feels like to have a son that cooks. You know how it is when you love something so much that anything you learn about it just sucks into your memory banks without any effort whatsoever? You read about it and remember it?
That seems to be how it is for my ds2. He's a cooking trivia master. I find myself asking him questions like this:
"Kev, what is the internal temperature of chicken when it's done?"
"Kev, why does this recipe say to heat the water up to 120°F when using instant yeast?"
Oh wait, I didn't ask him that question this morning, although I would have, if he were awake to answer it. I'm sure he would have had the answer.
The answer is, I discovered, that instant yeast has to be "activated" so you have to use HOT water to get it started.
I'm making a loaf of bread this morning. I'm hungry. I'll let you know what I made and how it turned out, later.
Merry Christmas.
Until next time.
Tuesday, December 25, 2007
When Your Son Is A Cook
Labels: recipes
Posted by RawMilkStar at 7:27 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment