Sunday, December 23, 2007

Snacks Sunday

I signed up to bring snacks for church for the first time. I think we did good, as it seemed most people were happy with the selection we'd chosen.

The only problem is, since I worked with dh yesterday and ds2 forgot we were bringing the snacks today and we got home so late last night, and I was exhausted from working... we didn't get started on making the food until this morning at 6am. I got started on the breads right away. I made two quick breads. One tried and true - Whole Wheat Banana Bread from La Leche League's cookbook Whole Foods for the Whole Family and a new one, Apple Date Bread. The Apple Date bread turned out very dry, as it has essentially no fat, except for the pecan's fat content. I made a loaf of the Apple Date bread, pictured above in slices. It looked pretty and festive, but that was to hide the dried out looking top. Ack! I also made a dozen small muffins out of the Apple Date bread.

I made two dozen banana bread muffins and frosted 12 of them. Ds2 made the sugar cookies. The vegetable tray was all freshly cut veggies, with real Hidden Valley Ranch dressing in sour cream.

I can't stand Hidden Valley Ranch dressing already made up in the bottle. Why does it taste SO different than the real stuff? Well, actually the "real stuff" is made from a mix... but it is so much better than the bottled kind. At least in my opinion.

Well, we were scurrying around like mad for an hour before we left. We have a small kitchen which doesn't help.

I wore a knitted ski cap throughout service. The color matched perfectly to my new blue dress... Pastor asked to me after service, "Aren't you warm in that hat?" I said at first that I wasn't, then I changed my mind and said that I was but not too warm. My hat was made of chenille and gave me a Russian look. I didn't let on to Pastor the real reason I wore the hat... it's because I was in such a hurry to get going that I didn't have time to fix my hair so I'd just wound it up in a bun, wet and all, then threw on the cap. Once I got to church, I decided to just go with it.

Until next time.

No comments: