Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Grilling A Turkey

For Thanksgiving we grilled our turkey and it turned out great. We're doing it again for Christmas.

I linked to several sites that give you information on how to grill your turkey, but I'm going to tell you what we did, partly for my own information next time.

The grill should be preheated to 350°F, but first place your shelves in the proper position. You will be using indirect heat. We have three burners, so we place all the shelves to the right side of the grill, and turn on the left burner. You will need something to catch the drips - we use a 9" x 13" glass casserole dish. That goes on a shelf directly where the bird will be grilled.

Both times I've used hickory smoked chips. Some people will tell you to soak them in water, beer, wine, juice or some other liquid, but the back of my bag tells me to place 2 handfuls of dry chips onto some heavy duty aluminum foil and make a pouch. Poke a few holes and place the pouch on a shelf just above the flame. We don't have a shelf right above the flame so we just sit the pouch to the side of the flame so the wood chips have a chance to catch on fire.

After the pouch begins smoking, move the pouch to the side, away from direct flame. Place the bird on its back with the neck closest to your flame. You will need to rotate the bird several times, I like to start back down, neck to the flame.

And now, I'm off to see about making a pie crust. Pioneer Woman ordered me to make her Scrumptious Apple Pie and so I must.

Until next time.

No comments: