Ds2 decided he wanted to knit a kitty pi for Precious today. Only he doesn't know how to knit, so he asked me to teach him. Only we didn't have any size 11 DPNs, so we had to make some from wooden dowels that I happened to have on hand from the last time I made my own wooden needles. But then I couldn't figure out to get started knitting in the round and shortly after casting on 9 stitches and not knowing what to do from there, I gave up, grabbed a crochet needle and began creating a crocheted kitty pi. Why I didn't write down what I was doing, I will never know. I pretty much winged it and it came out just like I planned! I doubt if it took me more than four hours. Ds2 did crochet several of the rounds, but he has only crocheted chains in the past, and so today was learning to do chains again, plus learning the slipstitch, single crochet and double crochet. We finally agreed on Hunter's Chicken (aka Chicken Cacciatore) for dinner, but I didn't really want to cook. He really wanted the kitty pi to be finished, so we agreed that I would crochet and he would cook. That worked out great.
I did use wool from my stash, the Irish Twist Yarn for Aran Sweaters, but I don't know if it was prewashed - I don't know if it will shrink and felt like the kitty pi is supposed to. We first read about kitty pi's at Crazy Aunt Purl's.
When I finished it, ds2 put Precious into it and she immediately began bathing. We had the kitty pi perched on top of a TV tray. It was a somewhat precarious, but she didn't seem to care much.





Until next time.
Friday, August 31, 2007
Kitty Pi In One Day
Labels: cats, crocheting, knitting
Posted by RawMilkStar at 8:08 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment