Friday, August 03, 2007

Wedding Veils

I've been researching veils. I found a great site - the owner - bless her heart - includes great closeup images of her veils, plus gives information on the detail of the veil, like size and the edging. My point is she gives SO much information and detail that I could easily recreate some of the veils.

It is really a bit frustrating because I although I have spent years trying to not please everyone else, I still find myself thinking "Oh, I love that!" but then when one of my friends discounts it, or says something negative I find myself changing my mind.

I'm also torn between making something really simple or trying for something a bit more complicated.

I'm finding that my energy is waning for some detailed jobs. For example, I started painting the gold onto the cream colored envelopes and now the only gold in my wedding will be my wedding band. Since deciding to go with the white dress, I am going to keep the same shoes which are silver. So I was thinking for the colors white, silver and hunter green. But then I found these really pretty purple and lavendar greenery things on clearance at Joann's and now I'm thinking since I do like purple (nearly an equal favorite to pink), maybe I'll do white, silver, green and purple. I got the white roses for $0.59 per bunch and the purple were $1.49. They were 70% off! Dh and I went to another Joann's after work and I found more of the rose bunches. I bought those, but not the purple ones. I'm thinking I should have! These were primarily to be used for table decorations, flowers for the little vases. But then I started thinking I should get the purple ones for more room decorating.


I'm really wanting to buy lace for the tables, but I realized I'll need 4 yards for each table. That puts the cost at $3 per table. But then there is the time to spend cutting the lace and sewing it back together. The tables are 60" wide and I was thinking 2 yards = 72" so the tablecloth will only drape over the edges about 5-6 inches. Would that look awful?

I wish the fabric store with the cheap lace wasn't so far away. If it weren't, I'd just buy four yards and see how it would work out. Maybe that could be my project for next weekend. Maybe I could just do ONE table... the bridal table... hey now that's an acceptable solution! I'll make ONE really pretty tablecloth, and see how long it takes. Heck if it ends up taking 20 minutes to do one, that wouldn't be too bad to do the others. If it takes an hour or two, I'll just do one for a really pretty table. I like this plan.

Back to the veil. I went to lunch with my friend BB, whose wedding is three weeks after ours. We went out for lunch on Thursday and stopped by a place that she had been told had a large selection of veils for sale. Well bummer, we drove 16 miles only to find that they had three veils and they were very plain and expensive!

I've learned there are several lengths of veils: Shoulder, Waist, Fingertip, Chapel, Cathedral.
* Shoulder or blusher, 18"-24"
* Waist, 30"
* Fingertip, 40"
* Chapel or floor, 60"-72"
* Cathedral, 108" or longer

I'm thinking waist length. I like the double tier look better than the single. I am torn between edging with 1/4" satin ribbon, or pencil edging. Look for AA001 on this page for pencil edging, AA002 for satin ribbon edging.

I also like the edging on this veil, BA8234 but wow, the work this would entail. I have those barrel shaped crystals, but they are iridescent rather than clear. I also have little pearls. I also like BAC541, the cluster of pearls and the rose; however, my dress doesn't have roses, it has something more like daisies. Here's a closeup of the front beading. Click on it to see a much bigger image.


I don't want to get halfway through beading, only to find I am running out of time, energy or drive. I end up feeling like I'm a failure before I've even started. I was thinking maybe I could do something like decide where I want to bead at, for example, if I want to put clusters of pearls or one little pearl at a time, space them way out, like one at each side, one at the middle and then I can put one in between each. Like one at 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock. Then try putting smack in the middle between 3 and 6 o'clock and 6 and 9 o'clock and so on. At least that way if I find myself giving up (although I'm so not one to give up easily!) I can just finish up the other "middles" and be done with it.

I also learned the material is called tulle, sometimes illusion tulle. I wanted the 104" width material for more fullness. I want the veil to come down just to my rear, just meet the "shelf" I think. The tulle cost $3.98/yard at the "veil place" where they had only three veils. It was $2.69/yard at Joann's. Walmart carries tulle, but only in the 54" width. So I'm really glad I shopped Joann's because I want to at least get the shape cut out this weekend.

I'm also very surprised to see that the ends are not sewn up or hemmed. They are mostly left raw.

Dh has been talking more about the cake he wants to make, and he's also going to make the arch for the pastor to stand under. The "skeleton" part of it he's going to make using PVC. Then I'm going to decorate it (see I could have used those purple flower things!). I'm also thinking about using white Christmas lights. I bought a ton at the 90% off Christmas sale 2005. Now I just hope they weren't thrown away when the big rolloff was here!!!!

On the bright side, I get to stay home tomorrow AND Sunday! Although I have been enjoying going to church, it does break up the day taking about four hours.

Tomorrow I plan to hit the house pretty hard, cleaning as much as I can so I can do some enjoyable things on Sunday. Sometimes my plan backfires and I end up moping around all day trying to make myself clean and then have to work like mad on Sunday. We'll see what my energy level is like. I also promised my coworker D that I'd shorten and hem her pants and have them to her on Monday. I also need to get our bills paid and my side job bookkeeping needs to be done again.

History and Tradition of the Wedding Veil

My ballroom dance tape arrived. It doesn't look too hard, but I sure wish I could figure out what this means: The slow waltz is danced to music written in 3/4 meter with 30 - 32 measures per minute. I have no idea at all what that 3/4 meter thing means. How do you find out which songs would work? I know it has something to do with the beat of the music. I remember puzzling over things like this in music class. Never could get it.

Until next time.

No comments: